Lotsa Flies

Soares Clan news and views; A continuation of Two Flies. Hoo Ha.

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Winter Solstice 2005









Gainesville

This picture was taken with my phone. Sorry the image isn't better. I need to get Bill to take one for me so you can appreciate the exquisite detail-- har har de har, as the kid would say.

Another day of slogging toward Christmas. Some work on the cards, some online elfing, some bricks-and-morter elfing, the latter not all that successful. This will not be one of my better years gift-giving wise. Next year I'll be able to do the FL Holiday Cruise up right. It's a good thing I took this week off, or there would have been nothing done at all.

Still don't have a tree. The plan is to go out tomorrow and get one, which leaves me a very few days to get the decorations on. Doubt if I'll get the whole 9 yards on, but at least they are packed in a rough priority order, so I'll have all the special ones on, at least. My very favorite ornament (and don't ask me why) is Joe Montana. He's always the first one on, after the lights. After him, I have many favorites. I keep thinking I should get a little tape recorder and talk into it as I unwrap each one, to have a record of them and what they mean to me. Maybe next year!

I made a most excellent stir-fry tonight-- sometimes you get it right without even trying. Used leftover pork tenderloin from last week and had some lovely shitake along with the default red and green peppers, onions, celery and jalapenos. Had it over broccoli slaw which I blanched for about six minutes. Fruit salad too.

We received a gift box of fruit that is heavy on pears. I love 'em, but Bill can do without them-- so I need ideas for what to do with about five Perfect Pairs. Suggestions anyone?

The sun has been out the past two days, but it's very cold. Supposed to dip below freezing tonight for the first time. How appropriate, as it is now officially "Winter" in the northern hemisphere. For us this means huddling around the space heaters, wearing lots of layers in the house, and having a cat on your lap the second you sit down. She's also taken to sleeping on the bed these chilly nights. It's strange to wake up and find you can't move-- only to realize she's hemmed you in.

Bill has a fascinating watch (he calls it his "hippy dippy" watch) that has a 24-hour dial with only one hand. It knows the date and the latitude, and so has light and dark for that day laid out in the dial's background. It's extremely neat-- even clerks in jewelry stores just goggle at it. The thing is smart enough to know about solstices and equinoxes-- and it does a little fireworks display when one of these occurs. We were hoping to catch it this year but we blew it.

Dad would have loved the watch. The solstice will now always include memories of him, as will January 3 and 28. Mom, you've done great this year. I'm very impressed, and very proud of you, too. The first year must be the hardest, and now that's behind you.

Meanwhile, back in 1952, you were painting plates. "Crab Pots," right? What was that like? Do you have any of those left?

[Vacation symbol]
Wednesday, July 2, 1952
184th Day--182 Days to Follow

Dear Diary
This morning Brenda came down. Mom went to paint plates. When she came home we had lunch and then went to Bren's for Kool-Aid. Bren got her swim-suit and we came back & had a swim. Our our cousins joined us. The all later left. After dinner Mom & us Kids went over to see Pa's cat They have a salad. [? illegible, really] Suzy

[Vacation symbol]
Thursday, July 3, 1952
185th Day--181 Days to Follow

Dear Diary
After we finished our morning chores, Brenda came down. We got out our Toni Dolls & Decided to give them permmenents. Brenda brought hers down. We gave them Toni's. Later we went in swimming. When Dad came home we bought our fireworks. We got a roman candle a fountain Jap. spark. cone, snakes & wizzer etc. etc. Suzy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home