Lotsa Flies

Soares Clan news and views; A continuation of Two Flies. Hoo Ha.

Friday, June 02, 2006

farm and kitchen update

This will be brief. I've just done some paper work (last letter of recommendation, paying bills) and should really be at work in the strawberries, an hour away from completion.

The stucco man finishes up today, and I'll take a photo to show what's been done. The garden progresses. Corn planted yesterday; today we must lay the rest of the plastic and begin to finish planting. Tomatoes, peppers, eggplants ready to put in, and cukes, beans, squash ready to seed. Goal is to have the whole thing done this weekend. Should be able to do that. I'll send a photo of that, too.

I'm still plowing through the new FC. I've now made the first two of the "Rub, Grill, Top" article. I even made the grape stuff again to go with leftover pork roast that was spiced in a similar way. I really love the contrast of mint and jalapeƱo. Made quesadillas for lunch yesterday with some more of the pork, shredded, with mozzarella. Last night we had the Mexican chopped salad, which was really wonderful. I knew Charlie wouldn't count it as a meal, so I braised a small beef brisket with a couple of chipotles in adobo, and sliced that thin. He wrapped it in warm corn tortillas and was very happy. In the Q & D, I've made the steak/edamame (as you know), but also the salmon with citrus vinaigrette, and, on Wednesday night, the polenta and sausage. This was really good. I love the polenta with corn in it (in fact I think I'll microwave some now, before I begin my work). And I took their suggestion of sauteed red bell (I had a big one frozen) and slivered garlic. Anyway, I am having great fun with this issue! The chopped salad wasn't bad time-wise, but I had corn kernels left from making the polenta (drained frozen corn, I mean) and I found half of a roasted red bell in the freezer, so I didn't have to do that part. I did make black beans from the ground up, though. Anyway, worth the trouble!

Must get into the strawberries now!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home