Lotsa Flies

Soares Clan news and views; A continuation of Two Flies. Hoo Ha.

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Annuals

Gainesville

Well. Made it through a second day in the tank. That's the good news. The further good news is that I don't have to go back again until next Tuesday! Tomorrow is Thursday, when I work at home. Friday will be a vacation day, then the weekend, then Memorial Day.

The day's big events happened simultaneously-- I got myself to Special Collections with appropriate disks, passwords, etc., and finished scanning the "Roger Wilco" strips (by Dik Browne) and also got all the "Peter Pain" strips. This leaves just the "Mr. Coffee Nerves" strips and I'll have my Heroes and Villains paper in the bag. Right, the one, I'm NOT going to write/present in San Diego. But of course it will find a venue somewhere. I now need to take the bold step of asking the Spec Coll staff to get me a DIFFERENT BOX -- I have been obsessing over the 1947-48 box for so long they think I own it. I need to look at the 1946 box and the 1949 box to see what happened with those ad campaigns before and after.

Loved hearing about all the annuals you bought today, Mom. Today as we drove to work, I commented to Bill about how beautiful the annuals at the entrance sign were-- Zinias! All different colors, all thriving-- dazzling. Usually they do marigolds or salvias. He was unfamiliar with the whole concept of "annuals" -- and appalled that you have to plant them again EVERY YEAR! Um, yeah-- hence the name. Quick and Dirty colorful spots amid the perenials (another alien concept) "Don't they reseed themselves? It's that what plants are all about?" Well, yes, but-- then the whole thing about cultivars, hybrids, and all the other stuff I just take for granted. I do look forward to getting my gloved hands in the soil again when I actually have time to give them some decent care.

Let the Record show that for the second time in recorded history, I ate breakfast before work. So far so good. It is a very small statistical sample, but the results are positive.

Sandy, thanks for the post! Always fun to hear news from the farm. I did fix the carrots tonight for the first time, and they were lovely-- will use less sugar next time though-- rather too big of a pinch. Will know better next time. Discovered at the last minute that the skirt steak I was already thawing was supposed to be marinated overnight (D'oh!) but decided to go ahead with it anyway. It was predictably tough, after only an hour in the marinade, but tasty nonetheless. This was a fajitas sort of thing wrapped in Romaine leaves with salsa and sour cream.

It's already Thursday and then some. G'nite.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home