Lotsa Flies

Soares Clan news and views; A continuation of Two Flies. Hoo Ha.

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Earthquakes

Gainesville

It's Little Friday-- or, TGIW. By Wednesday, three days of inadequate sleep have piled up to the point that without some on-fire crisis, desperate deadline or other galvanizing fear, I can hardly keep my eyes open during the long afternoon. My cube-mates were all elsewhere, so there wasn't even that minor annoyance to keep the brain alive. Problem is, this state leaves me stupid; I know perfectly well that if I could get even 15 minutes of sleep, my brain would kick-start again and I would know what needs to be done on the various projects. As it was, just low level torment.

It's getting hot again. No surprise there. We got home fairly late, and I HAD to have that 15 minutes of flat time before even thinking about dinner. Decided that instead of all that chopping required by stir fry, I'd just slice up the wonderful ribeye roast, steam some broccoli and make a very simple cole slaw. This, along with more of the kalamata bread from Albertsons, was a nice warm weather dinner. I must say, that roast was probably the best one I've done in the modern era. Kudos to the Albertsons' butchers for cutting and tying it so perfectly, and to Silver Palate Basics for the slow-method timing tips. There will be at least two more meals and change from this one, and maybe even the ribs themselves will get turned into some broth.

Dad's baby book continues to be so sweet. He was walking at 11 months! Talking early too. What a bright little tyke. And I love "Teedy" and "Nedy." (Where the heck did I get "Lala" from?!) His first earthquake?? Only in California would this be a casual notation. And let the record show, I never had a first earthquake, or any earthquake at all. Supposedly there was one when I'd just started highschool, but I never felt a thing. And how appropriate this is the 1906 centennial.

I love knowing the exact dates when Papa Jack was off to Portugal, and Mama moved family, including Mildred Fenwick, to 5482 Kales. I had a dream once about how it must have looked then-- everything in vivid technicolor, clear turquoise blue skies, other bright colors--- no smog.

I keep meaning to ask, Mom: what is this Schwan delivery you talk about? Some sort of frozen food delivery service? Didn't know these things still existed. I remember the Vegetable Man that used to come to Petersons, and when we first came to Gainesville, there was the Charles Chips delivery service (in returnable steel canisters). Is food delivery making a comeback?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home