Lotsa Flies

Soares Clan news and views; A continuation of Two Flies. Hoo Ha.

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Chilly / Chili

Gainesville

We had two thunderstorms with heavy downpours this afternoon-- most welcome! When we came out to go home about 6:15, it was 72 degrees! Unheard of in July. I'd been planning some BBQ burgers for dinner, but decided to take advantage of the unexpected cool and make a pot of chili with the ground beef. I used a Darn Good brand mix, but in addition to the HB, added a chopped red onion, a can of chipotles in adobo and a can of stewed tomatoes with green chiles. It was wonderful! There was plenty leftover to freeze. As Bill said, who'da thunk that chili would work so well in mid-July?

I got another file cabinet drawer emptied out today. It was strange, finding long wordy reports from committees I'd been on (and apparently wrote the reports, judging from all the drafts) but have no memory of whatsoever-- and can't even guess from their titles what the hell they were for. About 80% of what I did in my career was utter BS. No, judging from how much I tossed, more like 95+%. Sigh. Oh well, one more drawer to go and my 1983-91 career is HISTORY.

It's Thursday tomorrow, so I don't need to go into the tank. I do have a dentist appointment, though. It's on the other side of town, so I'll be out and about and can squeeze in a few errands over my lunch hour.

Do you have any pictures of yourself in Saalfelden native costume, Mom? I'll bet you were wonderfully cute. Please share.

Sorry to hear you northern folk still have no relief from your drought. I remember how miserable it is up there when it's abnormally hot. I had no AC in my La Crosse apartment-- just cool air blown up from the basement through the heating vents, which most of the time worked just fine. I do remember when movie theaters used to advertise "Come on in-- it's COOOL inside!!" I also remember that trip to Pasadena when Dad's car couldn't make it over the Grapevine on midsummer afternoon. (Sandy and I learned all about vapor lock.) We retreated to Bakersfield, and to pass the time until after dark when it would be cool enough to try again, we went to the only place it would be reliably cool and comfortable: the movies. I'll be Sandy still remembers what we saw, but I don't.

5 Comments:

At 6:01 AM, Blogger Sandy said...

I think we saw "Green Mansions." I'll Google it and check the year.

 
At 6:03 AM, Blogger Sandy said...

No, it couldn't have been. I think this was the summer of '58, and it came out in '59.

 
At 6:21 AM, Blogger Sandy said...

Aha. I believe it was "The Light in the Forest." Carol Lynly was in that, and it came out in '58.

 
At 8:58 AM, Blogger Sandy said...

Lynley.

 
At 10:39 AM, Blogger Chris said...

I just remember the heat, vapor lock (which I later also suffered on a motorcyle), the retreat to Bakerbutt (but not the movie), the demise going up Grapevine pass, and the tow down to Pasadena.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home