Lotsa Flies

Soares Clan news and views; A continuation of Two Flies. Hoo Ha.

Friday, September 15, 2006

Watch Closely

Gainesville

What a day. I worked harder today on vacation than I have during many a recent work day-- trying to get myself in the slot to be fully retired. On the phone (DROP rollover), filling out forms online that took literally hours (Social Security), asking questions via email (various), on and on. Of course it's not nearly done yet, but it's a start, and I think I have a good grasp of what's involved and what still needs to be done. And a sense that once this particular transition has been passed, that I need to talk to an expert about a reasonable plan to coordinate the pieces. It all makes my poor head ache, but that's what aspirin is for.

Also, another good therapy was thoroughly cleaning both bathrooms and their floors.

So: Mom and Sandy are in the Twin Cities, ready for the start of a new adventure tomorrow. Good luck, and bon voyage. Are you flying to San Fran or Oakland? I'm already looking ahead to January, considering options.

Speaking of looking ahead, I hope you two have already mapped out, at least mentally, coming to Florida at the end of February for the Comics Conference. No exact dates yet, and it will be combined with an online gaming conference, which will interest Bill. Sandy, I spoke with John Ronan recently, and he says Chris Ware (whom he knows personally) would love to come to it; we just need to scratch up minimal funds to bring him. The problem is, the CLAS (Liberal Arts and Sciences) is in a very public period of financial embarrassment, so we can't expect much help from them. I suggested a bake sale. Hell, I'd be willing to contribute to a private "fellowship" if it would help getting him here... But the conference will happen, and after your triumph last year, Sandy, everyone will know you: you just have to show up to have fun. Even more fun if you present again, but that's up to you.

Spinach, well. I think there is a bit of journalistic hype/hysteria going on here. "Fecal matter" is around us all the time, and most of it is okay. Yeah, a small amount of it might be host to e coli, but not necessarily a given. And let's not just blame the cows. Watch closely how this plays out.

As for the picture mentioned in the Saalfelden entry, I'll bet anything that the remark provoked by the photos Sandy mentioned in her comment ("Fifi and her two worst girls") was from Dad-- what a sweet fellow he could be, given that he was unfairly photogenic. It would be great fun to see that photo, if only to capture his snarky caption. The man never listened to himself. The one time he was forced to, when somehow a recording was made of him raving "You stupid idiot!" was made into a sound file and used as an alert on Mom's Mac --( anyone remember when this was?), he demanded it be removed. Maybe he was embarrassed?

Let the record show: I am not a stupid idiot, nor is anyone who posts to this blog.

And now I think I'll shut down the bar and go to bed.

1 Comments:

At 7:25 AM, Blogger Sandy said...

It was the first Mac we had that could record a voice, probably the IIsi. I was the one that finally removed it, because I thought that it was unhealthy for me to yell "fuck you, Dad" so many times when I was working on it. That was my knee-jerk response. On mine, at that time, I had Baby Julia saying "Uh-oh!" That was better.

(more later)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home