Lotsa Flies

Soares Clan news and views; A continuation of Two Flies. Hoo Ha.

Monday, December 26, 2005

Christmas, Part I

Gainesville

Nice to have a day when I didn't HAVE to do anything, and I didn't. Slept late, set up the puzzle and got started on it. It's a good one-- has several areas that looked immediately do-able, and two actually were, but the third is proving hard. It's going to be a challenge, but not overwhelming. Perfect.

Bill gave me a fabulous portable GPS system for the car! It has a bright color display, and it talks. I haven't begun to learn all its ins and outs. Spent quite a bit of time today playing with it, loading maps, doing minimal programming. We will really make good use of this when next we go to the Bay Area, Sandy. I was able to put a pointer at the Marina Village Inn (which it knew about by name) and another at 228 Florence, and then tell it to plot a route between the two. You can zoom in and out easily, and it tells you each turn as it approaches. It knew the Village Market, too, and I could make that part of the route. Neat-o! Can't wait to take it out on the road and put it through its paces. It knows restaurants, hotels, gas stations, points of interest. It easily transfers from one car to another, a big selling point.

Another nice thing was a little talking dictionary/thesauras thingy that will double as a e-book reader. Haven't had much chance to play with it yet.

The chocolate bread pudding I made was not a great success-- the directions said to cook it til it sprang back when touched lightly in the middle, and that took an extra 20 minutes-- which left the thing very dry, hard and crumbly. I may just toss the rest of it out. It was very tasty, though, and I'm tempted to try it again. I made the white chocolate sauce, but used Fra Angelica since I had no Amaretto. Very good. It was a reasonably easy recipe.

I warmed the ham for about an hour. It was good, but too sweet for my taste. I prefer smoked ham to honey cured, but didn't have much choice in the spiral cut variety.

*************
Now it's tomorrow. I went in to watch a bit of Monday Night Football and got entrained by all their nostalgia. Will finish my Christmas cooking adventures tonight.

2 Comments:

At 8:47 AM, Blogger Sandy said...

The GPS sounds great! What route does it use from the MVI to Thea's? I don't get CaH any more; I had too many cookin' mags, and I figured that Mom could tell me about anything I really had to make. Choc bread pudding will not be among them, though, as Chas refuses all bread puddings. Glad to know the puzzle is good; I thought it might be, from its picture. I only like puzzles that are some kind of art; I won't do photographs. My favorite one here is of old comic book covers, quite good.

We weren't very interested in the Monday night game, but we watched some of it for the old stuff, too. Of course we did not make it to the end -- we never do.

 
At 8:02 PM, Blogger Suzy said...

Of course, the GPS goes for EASY-- it takes I-880 to I-980, then over to Cal 13 and off at Broadway Terrace. It's just under 9 miles that way.

Interestingly enough, that Monday Night game ended up with the exact same score the first ever Monday Night game did!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home