Lotsa Flies

Soares Clan news and views; A continuation of Two Flies. Hoo Ha.

Saturday, February 11, 2006

Five Years

Gainesville, Supplemental

This blog was inspired by Neil Gaiman's. Thursday his was five years old. I really like what he had to say about diaries and blogs:
There. The first part of the first bit of deadline madness has been finished. Two more to go. And somewhere in there I managed to completely lose track of what day and date it was, which means that this blog's fifth birthday came and went yesterday and I didn't even put up a Happy Birthday post.

You know, I've never managed to keep a diary, despite my best intentions. Every now and again I'll run across an almost-empty diary with the first three pages filled in. Even my attempt to keep a private Moleskin diary, chronicling my travels, was doomed to failure and neglect. But this thing I'm still doing, and it's still fun.

One reason I know I'm keeping it is that people are still reading it. So thank you all, for that.
And THAT is the important part about why Two/Lotsa Flies is midway through its fourth year and still going strong-- someone besides just "me" is reading it, and in our case, writing it as well. Posting the fragments of our previous diaries and letters brings them to life again, but also encourages me, at least, to keep on posting about what is happening now, and how I feel about it, no matter how mundane it seems.

So, congrats, Neil. And thanks.

2 Comments:

At 12:00 PM, Blogger Sandy said...

You'll be happy to know that I know exactly what Neil's talking about when he mentions the moleskin diary. Bill Sandve gave me one some years ago, and I used as my journal on the trip with Julia (used it for the first part of the trip, anyway). A really nice little item.

Now I use it as a trip mileage journal. Used it on the trip west with Mom, actually.

 
At 9:40 PM, Blogger Suzy said...

Somehow I KNEW you'd know about moleskin, Sandy. I know only because Neil once waxed rhapsodic about them in a post. Never seen one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home