Lotsa Flies

Soares Clan news and views; A continuation of Two Flies. Hoo Ha.

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Alameda redux

I've just gotten back from a nice walk to the coffee place, open today. They do indeed open at seven (were just getting the doors open when I got there), so I had a nice cappuccino and a nice read-through of the Chronicle . It's raining, but not too hard, and I have extremely waterproof shoes (I had them when I was in Florida, the blue & black tennis-shoe like things) and an extremely waterproof coat. A nice walk. I was surprised to see how many other walkers were out in the rain, including one lady with a nice yellow slicker on her poodle!

Thea was dressed beautifully yesterday, in a kind of black suit with some red printy things on the jacket and a white shirt. She had on a little makeup and she looked wonderful! I wish I'd been allowed to take a picture. I'm very impressed with how sharp she is. FYI, particularly Chris, "Aunt Donie" is indeed Sidonia, as I thought, and, as I thought, was Grandma Neisen (née Knorsa)'s sister, the youngest one. Grandma Knorsa outlived all of her children, and I need to get a list of them from Thea. I believe that both Gma Neisen and her mother were named Elizabeth, no? I plan to get as much info as I can. Last time I got some dope on the Soares clan, but need more on the Grandma side.

I went up to the Cal B&L, and they won't do anything for her (she's unhappy because she has a checking account there that requires a $5000 balance with only 1.25% interest, and she wants to close the account, which currently contains 20K) without her physical presence or a power of attorney, both out of the question. But your efforts paid off, Suzy. They did deposit the interest from the CD into her checking account when the CD rolled over rather than putting it back into the new CD.

It was a pleasant day up there, despite the scary moment when Thea said abruptly, "I have to lie down; I suddenly have a terrible headache, and I never get headaches!" I was getting ready to go to Alameda to get the house keys out of my suitcase, and Penny was getting ready to leave. Penny decided to stay until I got back, lest there be trouble. (Penny is wonderful.) When I got back Flo and Thea were chatting away, looking at photos on the computer.

The crab was excellent, and there is a lot left over. Last time I was here I froze the leftover crab, just enough for a sandwich, and during our short visit on Sunday I noticed the plastic bag I'd put it in was out on the counter; she'd had the sandwich the day before. Also during my last visit I made some creamed chicken and froze the leftovers, and I also made a pot roast and froze three meals' worth. She'd eaten two of the pot roast portions and the creamed chicken. She particularly liked the creamed chicken, but I'm sure I could never duplicate it.

A quiet evening here in Alameda last night. It takes me several days to adjust to the new time, but today I slept until about six-thirty, so I'm getting back to normal. Had to get up at five to call Charlie, though, so he could get about the business of his day. Chopping wood.

When you sent me Coraline I really didn't know of Neil; Marty, Julia and I all read it with great relish, but it wasn't until last week, when I was in a third-grade classroom and saw it on a little girl's desk, that I realized that he'd written it! Duh. Guess that if I were in your read-a-thon I'd be reading Philip Pullman. It's fun to speculate on which part I'd read.

Clouds and fog are covering the tops of the hills. It's pretty here at the Marina no matter what the weather.

I'm going to take mom up to Thea's at eleven or so and pick her up at about three; we'll have a couple of hours to kill before it's time for Alice. Maybe we'll go towards the Cal campus and find a bookstore; I'm out of book, and Swing sounds very interesting. And of course we'll drive around. Wonder how the PT will do going up Marin in the rain . . . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home