Lotsa Flies

Soares Clan news and views; A continuation of Two Flies. Hoo Ha.

Friday, March 24, 2006

THUD (D)

Gainesville

Well. A big, heavy shoe fell with a loud thud today: My boss announced she has taken a job at UC San Diego and will leave in August. And she will not be around much in the meantime. It's not like it's completely out of the blue-- she has been very distant for the last four months or so, very unlike her usual hands-on micro-management style. Which was fine with me, because I have no problems keeping myself busy and motivated, but the change was very noticable.

So I will be something of an orphan when I leave. No one to gopher me off, as it were. There are going to be so many personnel changes in the next year or so, especially at the top, that it will take a cheat sheet to remember who is what. And all this combined with a move back into the rennovated and expanded Library West. Oh my. Our heads are spinning here. We kind of sit around and shake our heads. And there is much I can't talk about here, or course.

I continue to flail away at the presentation, and think it's freeze-worthy as of tonight. It's pretty early for this stage, actually-- a whole week in advance. Now comes the practicing. It's hard, because a full run-thru takes nearly an hour. The only thing I'm really worried about it whether my voice will hold out for that long. ALL of it I've presented before, in pieces, I'm comfortable with it, I love it and know I know more about it than anyone in THE WORLD, b'god! (A handy concept for public speaking.) So all that's pretty okay. [does her knock knock thing.]

No time today to visit my beloved Box in Spec Coll. All this political foreground is distracting. I hope that when all the fallout settles down, the artifacts will still remain and be deemed worthy of saving and protecting.

Guess Sandy and Mom are in MSP tonight, poised to fly West tomorrow, and Charlie is there to gopher them off. Hope you have uneventful weather and a boring flight. I look forward to dispatches from the other coast.

And now for a shot of Diry (and two lovely ones they are, too):

[Nothing for Nov 17-26]

Thursday, November 27, 1952
332nd Day--34 Days to Follow
Thanksgiving Day

Dear Diary
This morning we stayed in bed late & Francis had to fight to get us up. we had waffles for breakfast. At about 2:30 we left for home. We got there at 3. Margie, kathy, & Barbara were there. The turkey came with Pa 22 1/2 pounds. We had the "feast" in the "Banquet Room". Yum Yum. After dinner We took some pictures & Did the "Monkey Song" for them. What a Day. Suzy

[Nothing for Nov 28]

Saturday, November 29, 1952
334th Day--32 Days to Follow

Dear Diary
This morning We got up & did our work good 'cause Mom's got a cold. Donnie came down & helped dad hook up the wiring. Then P.G&E came & gave us electricity. We moved the stove into the Kitchen. Then we had a rehersal for the play at Bren's. When we got home the heaters were in. We moved the T.V. into the den. Helen & Donnie & the kids came for din. We had M. Stew. They had steak. Suzy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home