Lotsa Flies

Soares Clan news and views; A continuation of Two Flies. Hoo Ha.

Friday, April 21, 2006

Slowly Back Away

Gainesville

Yes, I can see where Ikea might be a fun place to shop, even without the bargain prices. Reconfiguring the upstairs as a guest suite is a really good idea.

Interesting and fun-- sounds like a great day. Wish I could say the same, but tedious and annoying would be more like it.

We're into summer regime here-- hot days, apocalyptic thunderstorm in the late afternoon. Glass plastered with frogs and moths, floor coming to life with various creepy-crawlies-- a caterpiller showed up in the hall tonight. And so it begins.

Yesterday was nice-- working at home, then dinner out. Hellova time getting home, as they had the 34th and Williston Road turn completely blocked off and impassible at 9:00 at night. We were stuck for 20 minutes. Never did make it through-- someone got out of their car and moved a couple of cones, which allowed them, and lot of the rest of us, to make a highly illegal U-turn and go all the way back to Archer Road and down 13th to get home. Maddening, and very time consuming.

I worked off some of that frustration by changing/laundering towels and cleaning both bathrooms, including floors. Also folded a couple of Bill's loads

Found time this afternoon to start the scanning of the 1947-48 comic ads. Friday afternoon is the perfect time for this, as the place is all but deserted-- and how splendid to experience a thunderstorm in that magnificent space, all alone! (Sandy, this is large reading room in the Library where that one session was held.) I got a good start on "Fireball Twigg," the Grape Nuts guy. If there is any paper at all to be had out of this, it will revolve around him.

Over dinner last night Bill floated the idea of me continuing to work half time in Systems for awhile after retirement. I was stunned! Such an idea had never occurred to me, and it seems to me like anyone could do the few things still considered my realm. I know my boss wanted to reassign my position to another department, but now that she's leaving, that is all up in the air. It's kind of nice to be asked, but my initial reaction is NO. At least, not unless I could work at home most of the time. Christ, I can't believe I'm waffling even that much!

Just had an email exchange with Lee. We will try to arrange a farmers market run within the next few weeks. He tells me that Nan and husband #3 will be moving to Seattle. Nan has never lived anywhere but Florida. I wonder how she'll adapt/!

1 Comments:

At 7:10 AM, Blogger Sandy said...

No! Stand firm!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home