Lotsa Flies

Soares Clan news and views; A continuation of Two Flies. Hoo Ha.

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Block

Gainesville

I seem to have Blogger's Block-- staring at the screen, realizing that I have a multitude of the usual things to say, though nothing stands out. What does stand out is so arcane I can't possibly explain. But of course, I'll have to try.

The Library World was shaken to its core this afternoon. OCLC has eaten RLG for lunch. This is roughly the equivalent to the US and Iraq jointly announcing that they've decided to join forces, and that Iraq will be the 51st state. The economies of scale for both parties will be substantial, and everyone will benefit.

Well, it's not really like that, but it's the closest I can come. The OCLC/RLG contretemps is the reason I had to leave Hopkins and come back to UF-- I'd backed the right horse, but at the wrong time, just 25 years too soon, and in a brash and politically clueless manner. Since then, RLG dogged my footsteps and became ensconced here, existing side-by-side in an expensive and ludicrous duplication of effort.

No one had any idea this was in the works. The sad part is that there's almost no one left either here or from the past who can appreciate all the delicious ironies of what this means. And I guess I have to say that the whole mess did get me back to Gainesville, where apparently was just where I needed to be to put my life on this very interesting course it's taken since then.

Meanwhile, back on the daily grind level, food was prepared and consumed: "Three Pepper Pork Salsa Verde" which was quite wonderful, and a better than usual salad of leftover beautiful Romaine and arugula with chopped cukes and tomatoes and a blue cheese dressing.

And let me say again how wonderful that Orange/Fennel salad turned out to be. Last night we got home at 7:15, so I hauled out all the leftovers, and it was my favorite part. There was enough left for me to have it for lunch at work today. A winner.

Very much off schedule because we forgot to start the dishwasher before leaving this am. All the kitchen routines are done, except there is a pile of stuff to load in now that the previous load is ready to put away. Sigh.

Tomorrow is THURSDAY. I have things scheduled, though: Lunch with Lee at a place of his choosing in Millhopper Square, then a stop at the Ford dealership to pick up a sticker of some kind where they certify they accidentally changed my odometer from 30,000 miles to 50,000. They've broken the law by doing this, so they are VERY anxious for me to have this magic sticker so I don't sue their pants off. Okay...

Mom, I can attest that the Omaha Steaks really are wonderful-- they sell the kind of cuts that usually only go to restaurants. We absolutely loved everything we got from the one time we did it. The problem is, as you note, freezer space. All I have is on the left side of the fridge, and I do not use it efficiently. It might be a nice thing for you, though.

I too am looking forward to reading Julia (Child)'s book. I loved the brief look I got at the early video when you were here ("Omeletes! We flip it over just so... ooops, if it lands on the floor, make sure no one is looking, then just toss it back into the pan...") Dear Julia!

It's now after midnight, and I haven't read a single word of that LAST CHAPTER. Maybe I won't get it read before sleep claims me after all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home