Lotsa Flies

Soares Clan news and views; A continuation of Two Flies. Hoo Ha.

Monday, June 05, 2006

Pasta Night

Gainesville

Thanks, Chris, for writing such a wonderful letter, way back then. And thanks, Mom, for keeping it, and transcribing it for the rest of us. And thanks to Sandy for the comment. It brought back a flood of memories. Here's one:

I was living in Baltimore, had been there less than a year. I didn't think I had any real friends there yet. The day after I heard the news, I was climbing the stairs inside the Library (from where I could see Memorial Stadium, if I turned around and faced east) and I guess my face was a dark study. Ginny Drake was coming down the stairs. She asked if I was okay. I said, "My grandmother..." and before I could finish, she said, "Did she die??" And she threw her arms around me. I must have mentioned Dan to her, and she remembered. I realized, at that moment, I did indeed have a friend in my new surroundings.

Meanwhile, going on 25 years later...

We got home just before 7:00. I still managed to make the pasta on the back cover of FC 79 (Linguine with Hot Chile, Caramelized Onion & Gremolata) using low carb pasta, and it was magnifico. I ate too much of it, though. I'm very proud that the kitchen disaster I created while hurrying through this has now disappeared. Plus, the towels have been changed/laundered, etc., and all is well.

Except, I'm not sure I can face another day like today. I'm considering taking a day off tomorrow due to sheer stupifying boredom. But of course, I won't.

Bill is quoted in the paper again today. He is very happy that they did NOT print one of the numerous picture he had to pose for last week.

And so to bed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home