Lotsa Flies

Soares Clan news and views; A continuation of Two Flies. Hoo Ha.

Saturday, July 22, 2006

San Diego Dreaming

Gainesville

Wow, what a saga with the giant cabbage, Mom. Making one's own kraut is well beyond anything I'm likely to attempt, especially after hearing all these trials and tribulations. Interesting that the latest FC (#80, just arrived today) has a couple of really interesting sounding slaws featured. That's probably the first thing I'll try out of it, although I'll use pre-shredded stuff. (Isn't there some kind of booze made from cabbage??)

I've only had a chance for a brief look at FC #80, but already there are a bunch of things I want to try. My heart breaks at seeing the roasted potato salads I will NOT be trying, though... Sandy, I'm counting on you to scout this issue out and give us reports on what is worth the trouble.

Typical Saturday here: food planning and shopping. This week it will be straight Leanne. All seem doable, and after a week off, more interesting. Tonight we had Jack Fish (cod filets topped with chopped tomato/ scallion/ basil mix and baked in foil, finished with shredded jack cheese), steamed asparagus and fruit salad that featured beautiful black cherries. Bill and Carrot both loved the fish-- I'd had a big lunch (leftover steak and baked potato from Outback) and so was less enthused. I have some prep work to do tomorrow to make the week tolerable foodwise. No espresso beans at Publix-- got some French roast instead. Will go out in search of the Real Thing tomorrow.

Finished American Splendor 1-2, and now reading the More... volume. Also have Our Movie Year ready to go, but now realize that I don't have the only one Hatfield really talks about, Our Cancer Year. Oh well.

Watched the start of the 2-part (season one) finale of Battlestar Galactica, and then just stopped. Was unable to find season 2 (part 1) when I went to Best Buy Friday, so came here to order it from Amazon. Meanwhile, Bill and Carrot arrived to fall asleep in the big red chair (he had an early morning online Raid, she sleeps most of the time). He has no problem with the TV going while he snoozes, but I think BG is so good that I don't want to spoil him inadvertantly with what I know is going to be an amazing two hours.

Forgot to mention that as we drove to Outback Thursday evening, we had a rainshower in full sunlight as we made the left turn from 441 N onto Williston Road W. The brilliant, vivid rainbow ended right in the median of Williston Road S/Waldo Road N. I fully expected to see a pot of gold sitting there, as I've never seen a rainbow end so close to me before.

We should be in San Diego right now. Damn.

4 Comments:

At 1:23 PM, Blogger Sandy said...

Have heard of Our Cancer Year and am intending to get it from the library. Will check out the others, too. Have now read Fun Home and consider it very good. The art is really wonderful.

 
At 1:38 PM, Blogger Suzy said...

See the movie, American Splendor, if you haven't already. Jumping into Pekar with Our Cancer Year might be a bit much.

 
At 6:44 PM, Blogger Sandy said...

Haven't seen the movie. BTW, I have just started cooking from FC 80. One slaw, one potato salad, both for lunch today. Report is imminent (tomorrow).

 
At 9:02 AM, Blogger Marty said...

I have already (sort of) made the Mexican slaw from FC 80. Freakin' Econo foods did not have jicama OR enough viable limes, so I substituted julienned sweet orange pepper and cut the recipe almost in half in order to have enough lime juice (still wasn't enough). Promising, but needed the jicama, more lime and something else, not sure what yet. I will continue to tinker, because it was good enough to try again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home