Lotsa Flies

Soares Clan news and views; A continuation of Two Flies. Hoo Ha.

Thursday, September 21, 2006

They All Went to...

Gainesville

Already tomorrow here-- very glad I do not have to make the work scene tomorrow.

Welcome back to the blogosphere, Mom! Glad you were able to find time, in three different spaces, to make a post. Your voice was missed. And please: doing crossword puzzles is not a bad habit! It's a GOOD brain exercise, and you should spend as much time as feels right doing them, or solitaire too, for that matter. Think of it as Nordic for the mind. At least, that's what I tell myself as I enjoy a daily Sudoku.

Thanks to both of you for filling all of us in on the Bay Area adventure. More beautiful pictures, Sandy-- they bring back the wonderful early morning walk to place-with-good-coffee. Wonderful California time-- the RIGHT time-- feels like 10:00 AM, clock and sun say 7:00 -- perfect! Plus, images of the idylic Alameda.

Made a wonderful pasta from FC #81 tonight: the one with fried capers and lemon. Surprise! It took less time than I expected, and I had it on the table on time in less than an hour (along with a 4-bean salad I made earlier in the day). The Dreamfield low-carb pasta has been a god-send-- hadn't realized how much I missed it until recently.

Only watched one episode of BG today-- it was so dark and violent I needed a break. I finished up The Persistence of Vision collection tonight, and the final story, of the same name, knocked my sox off. The whole collection is, among other things, a sharp, startling evocation of the late 60's-early 70's ethos. But that particular story burrows deeply into issues of a more basic nature: what the senses are all about, what it means to be human. I hope the reprints of Varley's Titan trilogy point more people back to this early stuff.

Bill brought home a huge tub (too heavy for me to lift) of mail-- the last two weeks worth. Took me over an hour to get it sorted out, most of it directly to recycle. Talk about meaningless paper-shuffling. Think of all the people that had to handle this clutter, only to have it end up in the landfill unread. Madness.

Time to sleep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home