Lotsa Flies

Soares Clan news and views; A continuation of Two Flies. Hoo Ha.

Monday, September 18, 2006

The Wrong Strip

Gainesville

Up and out of anywhere after a leisurely breakfast by 9:00?? ERROR. Sorry, does not compute. Who are you people, and why are you pretending to be related to me?

Another gorgous picture, Sandy. And another wonderful post detailing yesterday's adventures. Of course, the traffic you encountered yesterday was from the Raiders game. But it would have done you no good to go via the Bridge, as you'd have had to pass the 'Niners home game I watched them win yesterday.

The reason I'm posting so late tonight is watching a rare Jax appearance on Monday Night Football, and (also rare) watching every single play of this nail-biter-- the ultimate defensive struggle, 0-0 at the half, going on to be the lowest scoring game in Monday Night history-- 9-0 Jax. How sweet it is-- beating the Super Bowl champs before a national audience (something the Jags almost never get). People forget their win over the Steelers in their very first Monday Night game-- which we attended, and have the t-shirts to prove it.

Glad to hear you are settled into the Alameda digs and your first meeting with Thea went well. Keep those cards and letters coming!

I recycled about 30 pounds worth of magazines/catalogs today, and folded a load of Bill's big whites while watching a bit of live TV-- chanced on an episolde of FIREFLY, and one of the best ones-- though I thought it was going to be a NIGHT STALKER episode.

Did the chicken stroganoff thing from FC #81 Q&D-- it was not Q, but it was D indeed, and probably worth the extra time with the mis en place, most taken up by cutting up nasty, gristly chicken thighs and trying to trim the fat from them. Had it timed right, except for the extra 1/2 hour it took to do that. Over cauli-rice instead of noodles, and tried the new steam-in-bag frozen peas-- very easy and good.

Got a call from Social Security today-- need to take them my birth certificate tomorrow at 11:00. Before that, I need to call my poor interim boss about the farewell party. Turns out Bill did not believe I was serious about my plan, and thinks it totally daft. Sigh. Back to square one: I will ask for the minimal event, the morning of the last day: a drop-by reception. At this point, I'll be happy just to not offend anyone. As long as I don't have to face Green Goo (the ever-popular punch of gingerale with mint sherbert floating in it... bleaah!!) and other silliness. Maybe sometime next month I can quietly arrange a lunch with Systems. Sometimes I think I'm in the wrong comic strip.

Two weeks from now, I will look back on this and it will all seem funny. I hope.

(Happy Birthday, Billy, wherever you are.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home