Lotsa Flies

Soares Clan news and views; A continuation of Two Flies. Hoo Ha.

Saturday, August 25, 2007

Love my new toy!

25.VIII.07 - MoM

It has been quite a day. This morning, Margaret Campbell called me about our planned get together in mid-Sept. Sandy and Charlie are taking me down to her place on the 14th. I will stay there overnight. The new plan is that the next day Margaret and I will drive to Elizabeth's house where we will have a cousin's reunion that will include Fred, (and perhaps his wife, Fran). Charlie and Sandy will be on their own, but I will see them when they come to pick me up at Elizabeth's and Charlie will have a chance this trip to meet Margaret and Fred.

Later, this morning, I had a telephone call from Bill Dwyer. I hadn't heard from him for quite a while, but it isn't unusual for him to call. That is always good for an hour or so. He was in Des Moines for his mother-in-law's funeral but they have to go back to Florida for some family thing. He is just a kid -- 78. I enjoy hearing from him. He says he is doing his part to populate the world -- he has 16 grandkids and 7 great grandkids so far. He started with 4 sons.

I called Thea as usual, today. Then, I called Aunt Dottie. For the first time she didn't recognize me at once. It may have been my new phone. She really enjoys my calls. I must remember to do it more often.

However, the big highlight of my day was the arrival of the new toy I ordered earlier in the week. I didn't expect it to arrive so soon. It is a
Smart Shopper Grocery List Maker. (Naturally not inexpensive.) I wish I had had it when you were here, Suzy, so you could see it work. It is voice activated and is supposed to recognize 2,500 words, with room for 2,500 more you can add. There are many categories and it alphabetizes them. Also, there is a booklet with lists of all the words -- one by all the items and another with the categories and items. It includes drugs & health, office supplies, and also things errands like Bank. Books, Beauty Shop, doctor, dentist, and even lottery tickets. etc. Then, you press the print button and you get your printed list like a cash register receipt, categorized and alphabetized. I have trouble remembering things I buy (donuts, fresh fruit, etc.,) and put in the Fridge. Now, I can make a list to hang on the door to remind me. The gadget can be handheld. attached to the Fridge by a good built-in magnet, or with a couple of enclosed screws hung on the wall. I think I'll add it to the telephone and TV control that I carry in my walker basket. I am always making grocery notes on whatever piece of paper I can find where ever I am, then never getting them all gathered in one place when I do my grocery list.

I actually cooked a sort of omelet (open faced) for myself tonight. I was thinking of the flaming rum ones we used to make. It was strange but edible. I had found a little pan in the kitchen that I didn't recognize. I think it was meant for a single fried egg. I was only having one egg so I decided I would have to have it flipped as it was too small a pan to fold. I cooked some chopped onions in butter, added the beaten egg with some dried dill weed and lemon pepper. When it was almost set, I added chopped Greek olives and crumbled blue cheese. Managed to turn it over to cook the top a little. It was taking too much effort to try to find the rum in the bar, so I put a little Marsala over it. That was a bust -- the Marsala wasn't warm enough to flame and the box of matches would not light even when I held the head to a warm burner. I finished it with grated Parmesan. It wasn't bad and I had added enough stuff to cover the taste of egg.

Think I'll be able to get to bed at a reasonable hour tonight. Good sleeping temp tonight, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home