Lotsa Flies

Soares Clan news and views; A continuation of Two Flies. Hoo Ha.

Monday, January 23, 2006

Hope Springs (D)

Gainesville

Monday, Mondy. Had to truly drag my protesting body through the morning routines by saying "just do this one, then see how you feel," the idea being to go back to bed if it wasn't better. Somehow it kept being better, and here I am, at nearly midnight, in the middle of a million things. (Is this what it means to be a SHE?) I have towels in the dryer. I have the Smithsonian Collection of Newspaper Comics open on my bed. I am playing bartender. I am downloading the scans I did this afternoon in Special Collection from my keychain drive to my hard drive. My computer has just started making SOS-noises-- one reboot over the line tonight, I guess.

AArrgghh!

Dinner was a Plan B. Like some Library managers who tend to encumber the same funds for multiple purposes, I sometimes plan menus around a hunk of stuff in the freezer that I used last week. Tonight I didn't realize til we got home around 7:00 that there was no pork tenderloin in the freezer. Luckily there was some spiral-sliced ham from Christmas, which did us fine. Some sauteed summer squash with grape tomatoes, and a spinach salad with hard boiled egg and a new find, Marie's Spinach Salad Dressing, likewise.

Seems both Mom and San remember more about Smilin' Jack than I do, I intend to pick both your brains for details about it and Terry. There's just way too much stuff here for a 15 minute presentation, so those two might make a good focus.

Mom, I rejoice to think of you hearing the wheels of your brain go round going through the Crusades-- what could be better entertainment, let alone the best thing you can do for your continued well-being? As Oprah would say, you go girl!

Sandy, it's wonderful to have your voice on the blog and have this window into what your days are like. I miss you fiercely, especially when transcribing my Diry entries. I love it that I called you "San" -- You are indeed Sandy-San. And yes, I heart jpeg. Bring 'em on!

Truly, the noise the computer is making is a broken tone (something close to Concert A, I think) is doing a very complicated dot-dash pattern that puts our ancestor Morse's code to shame. And since it is driving me batshit, I will bring this rambling to a close. I will probably comment on myself to amplify and clarify, as needed. I hope.

And so, to bed. I hope.

Monday, August 18, 1952
231st Day--135 Days to Follow

Dear Diary
This morning I got up pretty late. Brenda called inviting us to a "bike washing party" We packed our lunch, said goodby to Grandma & Went to Brens. First we ate lunch then we washed or bikes and played for a while. When we went home, we rode at the school with Patricial and Ricky. Later Donnie came down & stayed for dinner. Went home fairly early. Suzy

Tuesday, August 19, 1952
232nd Day-- 134 Days to Follow

Dear Diary
This morning mom woke up & gave us our lists. We did most of the stuff on them & then we took Chris to the doctor for the sore on his back and to see about an eye apt. for Sandy. Then we came home & Mom took some stuff down to the Freezer in Sy.vale. We looked for disines for our rooms [These would be wallpaper designs.] I chose green & white. Suzy

1 Comments:

At 7:30 AM, Blogger Sandy said...

What an amazing year that was. Not only horseback riding, but the trip to Iowa, and getting our new rooms. I remember how strange it was to sleep in my own room for the first time. I both loved and hated it. My sister had always been in the same room with me!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home