Lotsa Flies

Soares Clan news and views; A continuation of Two Flies. Hoo Ha.

Sunday, February 12, 2006

Cold. Yeah, Cold (D)

Gainesville

Right you are, Mom; it's going to be VERY cold tonight, mid-to-low 20's, possibly a record low for this day. Pity the poor azeleas-- the early bloomers among them are out in full force.

All I can tell you about what kind of weather to expect is that it probably won't get this cold, and probably won't even freeze while you're here. Highs today were in the 50's, but that's unusual; will more likely be in the 60-70's. Lows 40-50s. And I can promise you it won't get above 80, so don't bother with summer clothes. I'd say, pack as you would for mid-spring in Wisconsin.

Got the minimal shopping done today. Such a late start, I cancelled plans to go all the way to Butler Plaza and Walgreens-- out of several of our vitamins. Need to try to schedule that during the week.

Fixed a pretty nice meal tonight: Broiled T-bones with a light mustard/ garlic/ lime juice coating, fauxtatoes with chipotles, and Brussels sprouts with bacon and apple (from EdF 27-- made it for Thanksgiving this year and Bill loved it). Even though all three were Recipes, I managed to get them all done on time, at the same time. Minor miracle!

I didn't touch my paper the whole weekend either, though I intended to. This week I must finish writing and polishing. Next week will be for cutting and practicing-- will need to put in a couple of hours a day on this-- hope my guests understand!

Your friends had such interesting families, Sandy. The Walkers and the Sponslers, too. My friends' families all seemed to be from the Ozzie and Harriet mold. Of course, WE had the most interesting family of all, with our incredibly cool and beautiful mother, and our very unusual and ever-changing house.

Thursday, September 18, 1952
262nd Day--104 Days to Follow

Dear Diary
This morning we got up and rode to school. There was an orcestra rehersal this morning. I had cafeteria duty this noon again with Gay. Sally & Molly Z. [Zecher] and Josepine L. [Lumoctod, one of the few black kids at the school] are the new cheer leaders. This aft. we had our snacks & tittered around. We watched Flash Gorden over at Pats. Mom is out somewhere without the car. I'm worried!!! Suzy

Friday, September 19, 1952
263rd Day--103 Days to Follow

Dear Diary
This morning we got dressed & rode to school. I had Cafe. duty again. At P.E. came the news of the first gang showers. Of Course every one dreaded it. But was really fun. After school we all met here for a coconut husking party. We all played until Flash Gorden & Tom Corbett. Then we departed. Suzy

1 Comments:

At 1:06 PM, Blogger Sandy said...

Gang showers! ish!! I hated them!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home