Lotsa Flies

Soares Clan news and views; A continuation of Two Flies. Hoo Ha.

Sunday, April 02, 2006

Opening Night/Day

Gainesville

Glad to hear you both made it back safely and without incident. Sandy, please take care of yourself first. No heroics for your students until you feel better.

Bill is off, and has arrived safely. He didn't call until late because his travel companions (the Director and his former boss) wanted to go out to dinner immediately after arrival. They are staying right at the airport, where the meeting is too. Should be a relatively stress-free trip. Knock-knock.

I remembered today was Grandma's birthday, as I always do. That one got stuck in my head at an early age, and I always think about her on the date.

Forgot to mention yesterday that the microwave suddenly died yesterday morning. It was nearly 20 years old, and was a cheap one at that. I figured we'd deal with it when Bill got back, but when I got up this morning, he'd already been off shopping for a new one, and hooked it up. It's even cheaper, but the technology has come a long way-- it's bigger, half again as powerful, and has that spinning carousel inside. I'll have to completely recalibrate how to mike, going through a period of burning stuff.

Wonder if I'll have it in me to make coffee myself (!) tomorrow, or whether I'll reheat today's, then run to the nearest on-campus Starbucks site. Once the new Library opens, the Starbucks option will be next door instead of 10 minutes away.

Also forgot to mention that yesterday marked the six month point in the pre-retirement countdown. A date I've been eagerly awaiting. I need to take six weeks of vacation before then, and have yet to figure out how I want to do that. Such a delightful problem. Maybe I should take a few hours of it tomorrow and wallow in Opening Day.

The Opening Night baseball game was rain delayed for many hours, during which I left ESPN2 on. What a strange assortment of TV I saw-- including a loooong promo thing involving the Giants and one of the stars of The Benchwarmers. It was oddly compelling. I may now have to actually look at the silly movie. Halp-- I've been brainwashed!

And so, to bed. I hope.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home