Lotsa Flies

Soares Clan news and views; A continuation of Two Flies. Hoo Ha.

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Halloween 06

Gainesville

Example of why I love Neil Gaiman so utterly: this amazing op-ed piece to the NYT. My favorite thing about Halloween ever.

Ah yes, Halloween. We had no action either. Part of it may be that the few kids in the neighborhood are now past the age, and those that are left are carted off to The Mall where it is all stylized and Safe. Also, our yard light has burned out, and I forgot to put on the porch light. Probably just as well: the front door has been sticking lately, and although I can usually wrestle it open, I sometimes have trouble getting it closed again. Five doors in this house, and only one of them is easy to get out of. Not good.

Went in with Bill this morning, and was happy that they'd moved my computer down to Systems-- they've just finished recarpeting the place, and in the process, rearranged the space. It is wonderful!. Instead of a bunch of tiny cubicles, the programmers have opened their space up and it is so much nicer! I have to think that if I hadn't been banished to the Tower in 1999, I might never have done DROP, or if I had, I'd have come back to work as soon as I could. I loved my job prior to that point, and Systems has remained a great place to work. Ah yes, hindsight.

Many of the gang were in costumes, and while backing up my files, I stumbed on a photo of a previous Halloween which I could share.

Had a cappuccino at the new library's Starbucks and saw the newly installed library Art (which I didn't notice until Bill it pointed out). We had lunch at the new Backyard BBQ, which has been getting rave reviews, and we concur. Fabulous burgers-- reminds me of ur-Kirks of old.

Bill dropped me at home, since I was mostly finished, and need to face the fact that I will never want to look at 99.9% of any of it ever again anyway.

Did a nice thing with frozen peeled shrimp: broiled with melted butter, olive oil, garlic, basil and scallions. MMMmm.

Sandy, what a lovely lunch: very nice pictures! But what are the sort of slat-like things blocking my view of outside? Please do post the recipe for tofu.

Mom, what was Ben's costume?? Did I miss something? Was there a costume drama I missed that the rest of the RF clan knows about? Did anyone think to take pictures? Just point your phone and shoot! Or whatever convergence thingy you have to hand that takes pictures.

2 Comments:

At 6:44 AM, Blogger Sandy said...

Nice article! Loved it.

 
At 9:08 AM, Blogger Marty said...

Ben was a red Power Ranger this year. His Buzz Lightyear costume from last year still fits him, so originally I had thought he could just wear that again. He agreed to this, but kept asking very sweetly if he could please be a Power Ranger NEXT year. So one day a few weeks ago when he was very sick and staying home from school, I got to feeling like a cruel mom making him be the same thing two years in a row. So I went on eBay and found him a great costume for about half what I'd have to pay at the store. He was very, very thankful. I'll get a picture soon. Promise.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home