Lotsa Flies

Soares Clan news and views; A continuation of Two Flies. Hoo Ha.

Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Soggy 4th

Gainesville

It rained all day, and was no kind of hot-- very unusual for a Florida 4th. As a bookend to serving hot French onion soup on a sweltering day, today I served cold white gazpacho and it never got out of the mid-70's. I can't win.

It was good, though. As were the steaks on the grill pan. I found some steak rub I'd made in quantity some time ago, and decided to use it. It was pretty good, but I swear the steaks were not worth the big $$$ I paid for them. I made deviled eggs but wisely passed on the pasta salad, since we had 3-Bean salad too. There was way too much food as it was.

I decided one 4" x 7" slab of ice cream decorated flag-style with blueberries and strawberries was going to be more than plenty for both of us, and it was. It came out rather well-- I'd cut and laid out the fruit ahead of time on a template, so it went together fast after I cut the ice cream. Wish I'd taken a picture of it, but it was melting too fast!

Cooking and prep took up most of the day, and I read LotR in the spaces between. Quiet day, as the rain dampened fireworks (literally).

Dentist appt tomorrow morning on the other end of town. Dread the drive more than the dentistry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home