Lotsa Flies

Soares Clan news and views; A continuation of Two Flies. Hoo Ha.

Sunday, July 01, 2007

Soup of the Evening

Gainesville

Extremely hot here. Probably not the best of days to serve hot soup, and the AC does not work very well in the kitchen. Luckily, it started to rain about the time I started cooking, which cooled things off a bit eventually.

And good thing I started around 5:00. It took nearly two hours to caramelize the onions! Perhaps I had the burner set too low? I added flour as Sandy suggested, and also did the toast and cheese at the bottom of the soup rather than heat up the kitchen further with the broiler. Bill did not like this treatment-- doesn't like having to struggle cutting up toast and messing with cheese strings. With the traditional way, at least one can dig a hole in the cheese/bread and eat the plain soup underneath.

The soup was fabulous, though-- at least I thought so! The Vidalias are so sweet, no sugar was needed, and it was thick and yummy. Good cold, too, surprisingly. Had fruit salad, spinach salad and sushi with it. Got some already-hard-boiled eggs for the first time-- they were pretty good! I had no old eggs to use, and wanted some for the spinach salad. May try deviling the rest of them for the holiday meal.

Shopped. Changed the sheets, but didn't get them laundered. Tomorrow for that. Even did a little work on de-duping the D's.

You are right, Sandy: I didn't stop reading when they went under the hedge and into the Old Forest. They've just fallen into the clutches of Old Man Willow. I can't leave them there, can I? I think I'll keep reading until they leave Tom Bombadil-- after all, his house is almost like part of the Shire, right? I can quit any time I like! :-)

The kitchen is all cleaned up, I sliced up a bunch of celery sticks for Bill's breakfast, and I'm ready for a second drink.

It was good getting a Tweet from Julia today! Sounds like she is having fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home