Lotsa Flies

Soares Clan news and views; A continuation of Two Flies. Hoo Ha.

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Popping Buttons (D)

Gainesville

Something happened at work today that really pissed me off. Usually, the minute I'm out the door I forget about that kind of stuff, but for some reason I just can't make my mind let go of this. It doesn't really affect me, it is unimportant in the general scheme of things, and there isn't anything thing I can do about it. Yet here I am, stewing away, giving myself a splitting headache. It's stuff like this that makes me sure I'm overdue to retire. Eight more months as of today. Can I make it?

Meanwhile, Mystery of the Smilin' Jack button-popper-- solved! This from Don Markstein's Toonopedia site:
Through most of the strip's existence, Jack's supporting cast included ... Fatstuff, Jack's Hawaiian friend who was always popping his shirt buttons (usually into the mouths of hungry chickens, so under-nourished from eating buttons instead of bugs that they were unable to grow feathers)
I haven't run across this character yet (and in fact, the Smilin' strip I finished coding today doesn't even feature Jack himself, only the villainous "Head"), but it's good to know that, and be on the lookout for him and the dazzlingly handsome but never seen Downwind Jaxon. Such an education I'm getting.

Tonight I made the Athenian Chicken I passed on last night-- and it was quite good, one of Leanne's better offerings. Everything got done at the same time, for once. Kitchen clean, counters and sink shined, evening routines mostly done. Good Suze.

And tomorrow is Thursday! And just in time-- if I had to in tomorrow, I'd probably say and do some things I'd regret.

I'm fussing over color schemes and designs for my PowerPoint-- I'm tired of the one I've been using for comics stuff. Marty, where are you when I need your advice about such things? I'm really color and design challenged. I know when things look good but have no idea why. The only design thing I ever had a knack for was cartography-- I always instinctively knew exactly where things should be on a map and how they should look-- my layouts were beautiful. Of course, it's an obsolete art now.

Enjoyed your second teen-aged fan letter today, Mom. How nice to have those things still around to share.

No time to read anything the past few days, and I'm feeling deprived. Way behind on TiVo's backlog too. Think I'll go read for a few minutes. After a diary post, that is...

[nothing for August 30]

Sunday, August 31, 1952
244th Day--122 Days to Follow

Dear Diary
This morning we had to do a good job on the front room 'cause. (see below) We went to the Westinghouse picnic at about 12 & had Lunch of Hot Dogs & Beans. Then we walked around and came home. Later Thea & Herb came down & stayed for [something crossed out] chicken dinner Barbequed!
[rest of page is blank]

Monday, September 1, 1952
245th Day--121 Days to Follow
Labor Day

Dear Diary
Today was our NON labor day. We don't have to work. Brenda came down (It's her birthday) & played 'till noon. She got "The Black Stall. filly A new one. Then we went to her house & had lunch & played for a while. Then we saw if she could sleep all night here outside. She couldn't. We had dinner out side. Suzy

3 Comments:

At 8:42 AM, Blogger Sandy said...

Glad you found the button-popping at least referred to. There's none in the half dozen Jacks I have in Popular Comics. Kept forgetting to tell you, Suze.

 
At 10:30 AM, Blogger Chris said...

Suzy,please don't say cartography is a lost art! In my ultimate project, hi-res history map of the world, name placement in an automated fashion on on-the-fly drawn maps will be a crucial element, demanding art and skill. Unfortunately, I', still a long way from that, so we'll probably be long retired by then.

 
At 9:41 AM, Blogger Suzy said...

Of course you are right, Chris. Typical example of my late-night fuzzy thinking. I only meant that hand-drawn, hand-designed maps are extinct (or nearly so). My cartography experience was in 1978, in another era.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home