Lotsa Flies

Soares Clan news and views; A continuation of Two Flies. Hoo Ha.

Sunday, February 19, 2006

Xing Xmas (D)

Gainesville

Very tired tonight. Took longer than I expected to get Christmas stowed away. Finally realized that artificial tree was never going to go back into the box it came in (which was damaged to begin with) and so I wrestled the three pieces into three giant garbage bags. It's nice to have at least some of that big space recovered, though. Also spent some time on Zone-type work in my bathroom-- the kind of stuff that swish and swipe does not catch.

Bill turned his three towering coffee table stacks into practically nothing, reading and tossing as he went. He also mixed up a batch of his variation on Bert's Oysterettes for Mom. We haven't had any around since Atkins, and so they taste really good to us.

I had a nightmarish experience with one of Leanne's recipes tonight. What the heck does it mean to preheat the oven to 375, then put [marinated chicken drumsticks] under the broiler?! My broiler is in my one oven, and it doesn't do temps-- it only knows "char". The glaze on them burned black almost immediately. I futzed around with them for about 45 minutes, trying to get them cooked without burning them. We both agreed the result wasn't worth the angst, and the cat wouldn't touch it.

Speaking of Her Nibs, she is fine today, completely back to normal. Big sighs of relief all around.

Mom, I don't remember what the deal was with that cafeteria duty-- I have a feeling it was voluntary, but something of an honor to be chosen, as you had to be doing well enough to be able to miss some class time. Not sure, though. Sandy, do you remember any such routine?

After a drop-dead beautiful day Saturday, today was overcast and in the 50's, and it's cold tonight. I don't know what clothes to tell you to bring!

Saturday, October 11, 1952
285th Day--81 Days to Follow

Dear Diary
This morning we did our work and then we had our club meeting. We decided to invite Patty Mersman to join the club. And what an initiation we have for her. "Tallolah" made her television debut on the "All star Review" boy, was she good. We saw a gory movie. Also "St dept File 649" already seen Mom & Dad - Robin Hood. Suzy

Columbus Day
Sunday, October 12, 1952
286th Day--80 Days to Follow

Dear Diary
This morning we didn't go to sunday school 'cause we had to watch Chris while Mom & Dad put in insolation. We did a lot of work then went to see "Washington Story" with Van Jonson & Pat Neal also "Robin Hood" with Richard Todd and Joan Rice. Moppet stayed for dinner the insolation is all in thanks to his help. Suzy

2 Comments:

At 11:23 PM, Blogger Suzy said...

Yes, I knew the name was Moffet. Chris called him "Moppet," which is why I called him that in the diry. Thanks for filling us in about who he was. I have no image of him, just the name. Interesting about the Anderson Dam accident. I had no idea about that.

Believe me, putting away the Christmas stuff does NOT qualify as knocking myself out. It's about 2 months overdue! And I never said a word to Bill about doing anything. He similarly used your visit as a spur do do something long overdue. When you see how much clutter is still everywhere, you'll wonder what we DID do!

 
At 7:23 AM, Blogger Sandy said...

"Moppet's" name was Al. He was a short stocky little guy, and Chris really liked him. He never brought his wife around, and I remember him as being such a man of the people that it surprises me that he had a journalist wife. He was nice.

I remember when the boat sank at Anderson Dam, too. Wasn't that when you got poison oak so badly from Dad's clothes, Mom?

And I understand about company as an excuse for doing overdue stuff. We all do it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home