Lotsa Flies

Soares Clan news and views; A continuation of Two Flies. Hoo Ha.

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

What Fun!! (D)

Gainesville

Back-achin' kind of day, which means this will be short.

Yay, Sandy is home! Red-eye flights are not my favorite way to travel either, unless it's to Europe, when you get there in broad daylight and ready to rock.

Perfect Spring Day here-- we still have azeleas everywhere, clear, dry, mid-70's. I celebrated anti-procrastination day (Bill tells me it's also Anti-Procrastination WEEK) by walking across campus to the Student Union to have my misplaced UF ID card replaced. A most enjoyable journey that took nearly an hour...

As I sat down to blog tonight, I glanced at a nearby bookshelf, and discovered a book there I need to read AT ONCE, if I'm going to continue looking at comic ads: Comic Strips and Consumer Culture, 1890-1945. Don't know when I got it, but glad I did! My study starts at 1946. And today, while I was putting in my couple of hours of physical drudgery in Special Collections, for the first time I actually recognized an artist who'd anonymously drawn an ad strip: Milton Caniff (or George Wunder, possibly) for toothpaste. I felt like I'd found a giant gold nugget at the bottom or a muddy California mountain stream.

Got up in time to get the crock soup launched, only at the last moment to realize, no way was it going to fit into the medium sized crockpot. Managed to get it transferred to Big Bertha, get the medium crock washed and stowed, and still be ready to go to work on time. I count that as some sort of minor miracle. The soup itself was okay, not great, but the leftovers will form the basis of a couple of amazing desperation dinners.

Congrats on getting all your routines done, Mom. I did well too, but have this bit of advice for FlyFolk: Don't sit down with your calendar and multiple boxes of stars when you also have a martini nearby. Stars everywhere. (Not that there's anything WRONG with that...)

Diry-wise, an exciting coupla' days for the kid. And what, pray tell, was a "Paul Jones"? I almost remember.

U. N. DAY
Friday, October 24, 1952
298th Day--68 Days to Follow

Dear Diary
This morning Sandy was home from school again. Edna gave Gay some purfume for her birthday. (How did she know) When we got home we found out Sandy could go to S.P. We picked up the gang & went.
W H A T - F U N ! !
Boy, I got asked in a Paul Jones by unknown boy. Big Thrill. Patty is the best skater.
Suzy

I'm Gladly For ADLAI
Saturday October 25, 1952
299th Day--67 Days to Follow

Dear Diary
This morning We got up & worked hard. We had our club picnic & meeting. Mom & Dad worked on the house. We painted boards.
After the meeting We watched the Georgie Gessel show with Phil Harris. Then Show of Shows & Hit Parade. We saw Son of Monte Cristo" on T. V.
Suzy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home