Lotsa Flies

Soares Clan news and views; A continuation of Two Flies. Hoo Ha.

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Hazelnut Blues, Revisited

Gainesville

Up early again, third day in a row. Wanted to get a start on meal prep for tomorrow. Little did I know the first step would be such a long one.

It involved hazelnuts. I discovered, to my dismay, I'd bought unshelled ones. They are quite the angry little nut to crack. After several mostly futile efforts with some pliers, I unearthed a small nutcracker from the bottom of a drawer. Still a lot of work, and shells flying all over the kitchen, sometimes the nuts flying too. Finally got the scant 1/4 cup done, got them toasted, and rolled the still-warm toasted nuts around in a dish towel to remove at least some of the thin inner skin. Then cleaned up the mess in the kitchen. While still in clean-up mode, I shook out what I thought was just the skin stuff from the towel into the garbage, only to realize the nuts were STILL IN THERE! Luckily, Bill had just put a crushed Cascade box into the trash, and about half the prepared nuts fell onto it and could be retrieved. But I still had to start over with another batch of nuts: shelling, toasting and peeling, thus doubling the work. At least the second time through it occurred to me I should drape the dish towel over the nuts before cracking them.

Had to go to Publix to get pie crusts and also get plain whole dates (another error: got chopped dates that turned out to be caked in sugar) and some flowers for the table. OF COURSE, they had shelled hazelnuts right there beside the others. I have got to pay more attention when I shop.

Got the stuffing for the turkey breast made, and also the cranberry/ lemon/ ginger chutney we are so fond of. It was good to have the satellite's music channels to keep me company-- I listened to "Deep Tracks," a rather nice, eclectic XM station.

Went to Outback (date night moved up a day). Bill struck up a conversation with a guy at the bar, and they went on like two red cows, albeit very unlikely ones. It was obvious they were the two smartest people in the building. I enjoyed listening.

Still very cold here. Very. Cold. I won't mind if it keeps up one more day, as it's usually warm here on T-Day, and it would be a welcome change.

And early again tomorrow, as I strive to put the mini-feast on the table in the early pm.

I'm bushed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home