Lotsa Flies

Soares Clan news and views; A continuation of Two Flies. Hoo Ha.

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Ramblers and Gamblers

Gainesville

Thanks for the tofu recipe, Sandy. Sounds like a lot of work, though, and any recipe that has the word "carefully" (or even hints that one must be careful) is usually rejected out of hand. The tofu I used to buy already had the cosmetic grill marks on it, so that would reduce the stress somewhat. Since Atkins, somehow Mother Earth and vegetarian-fu got dropped-- only so much room for cooking genres. But reading this recipe made me long to taste tofu again.

I've got several suggestions for a follow-up read to S/N, but will put them in email.

I'm back to reading my Complete Peanuts set, about half way through 57-58. Also reading the new Shakespeare bio, Will in the World. So far, I've been surprised by how much I already know about it-- my sabbatical research included a lot of that, especially the wonderful PBS series and its accompanying book. No doubt there will be new stuff once really into it.

Thanks to Marty for the backstory about Ben's costune (in a comment to my last post). It all comes clear now. YOU, a cruel mom? As if!!

Lessee, I blessed the house (weekly attention to floors, rugs ad dusting) and did two loads of laundry. And a major anti-procrastination item done: I remembered to ask Bill to hang up my FL calendar in the kitchen! Finally, we can both see the month at a glance and plan accordingly. He has to go to Washington DC for 3 days in early December, and I feel better about it now that it is on that calendar and won't come as a big shock.

Still wondering if Doug will visit this weekend or next. Really doesn't matter: it is what it is.

Was planning to do a crock thing today, but ended up repeating that heavenly pasta recipe on the back of FC #79, since I had everything at hand to do it, including low-carb linguine. Went together in about an hour, and was once again wonderful. Probably a bit too garlicky for Bill, as I used all the gremolata for just the two of us, when it was supposed to serve 6. This has got to be the perfect vegetarian desperation dinner that uses things we all almost always have around: dried pasta, butter, olive oil, onions, parsley, garlic, crushed red pepper flakes, jalapenos/serranos, a lemon, and some romano or parmesan. Had thought I might chop and add the leftover shrimp from last night, but then realized that would shorten its fridge life drastically.

A gentle reminder, Mom: food is not for choking down. It is for enjoying. Toss those impossible- to- open tubs of whatever. Eat whatever sounds good to you. If it's buttered salt bombs, ice cream, go for it. At this time of life, you should get a free pass to eat what you love. Take your vitamins, in whatever form it feels right, and if you aren't hungry, then pass.

Wisdom from a song we used to sing (at dinner!) at Cottey:
We eat when we're hungry,
We drink when we're dry
And "we'll sleep when we're sleepy" is the unspoken part. Which is what I'll do now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home