Lotsa Flies

Soares Clan news and views; A continuation of Two Flies. Hoo Ha.

Thursday, March 22, 2007

22.III.07 - MoM

I am starting this tonight while my dinner is underway. I have one of my Schwan's mashed potato ball is in the oven and the skillet is ready to pan fry a couple of the coated catfish filets that I am going to have for dinner. Considered some peas, but I had managed to drink a large can of V-8 this morning that is supposed to take care of 3 vegetables. I am going to finish it with some maple nut ice cream.

The weekly local paper came today and it has a new section that looks like it is a monthly, that has interviews and stuff about local people although it seemed to have a set lot of questions to complete the sentences. I guess stuff about me would not be too out of place. Pat should receive the sample cards tomorrow and she has my e-mail address. With her current interest, I am sure I will hear from her as soon as she gets them.

While I still had blooms of my Poinsettia I decided to scan a trial. The colors are vibrant but will the bloom is too large for the space. I seem to remember seeing some smaller ones. Perhaps, it will be my Christmas card this year. Nothing like planning ahead to when I will be 90!

This morning I e-mailed Marty to get more info about an accident Ben had yesterday at home when he fell and hit some furniture and Nate had to take him to emergency. This is the reply from her:

Hi! Sandy just told me that Ben had opened his forehead. How many stitches? Is he sufficiently recovered to enjoy the attention? Love, Oma.

Hi Oma, He had 4 stitches in the big cut between his eyes. The
other, smaller cut over the outside corner of his eye didn't need stitches - they used the glue on that one. He was a real trooper at the hospital, and was more interested in watching cartoons on the little TV in the room than anything else. He isn't really gettind any extra attention - life goes on as usual. I'm hoping he doesn't get too big of a scar!
Marty

* * * * *
Continuing the 4 page letter written after Christmas of 1984.

The picture that Bob Bailey sent was taken in front of a monument that says "Maximillian Emanuel Churfurst von Bayern, Belgrad's Eroberer." It is a very good picture of you and looks nice on the marble shelf over the radiator. I am having a print made of a picture I took of a lovely azalea plant DoD brought home and the decorated quails. Wow! Did I ever get a great picture of the rose garden in Mirabel Gardens [in Salzburg] with the red ivy and changing trees in the background and with you and DoD. Hope the slide prints up well. I am having several copies made of it. Sometimes, the colors are not as good from slides. I got some other good pictures that day, too. The slides of Venice turned out great and restored my faith in my picture taking. It all shows what a difference a sunny day makes.

Having quite a time trying to fit in our use of the Apple. DoD is much into FILE and REPORT now and has a number of projects going. My recipe file has already come in handy as I could not remember where I had seen "Oven Fried Trout," and I checked "Fish" and it was one I had put on file as being in Sunset Favorites. Trying to get all the interesting sounding things from Bon Appetit. That is my martini time reading and check them to put in when I find time. Also, want to work on my hotel file and something for slides. Had a letter from Jim Bensen and he is using his Apple IIe to do tax returns for people. Is having some problems mastering the use of his PFS File and Report, but they were bootlegged so can't check with the company.

In May 1984 Bon Appetit there is a picture of the Chateau Hotel de Coatguelen near the coast. They offer 3 day course in the art of cooking. The hotel has 16 spacious rooms each of which opens out onto the extensive grounds. There are possible excursions and one is a boat trip up the Trieux (?) River and another to the Ile de Brehat. Think it is something we ought to do sometime when you are over here. The price for three days lodging with one cooking class a day is about $220. DoD thinks it is a great idea. For information and free brochure, write Mme de Morchoven, Chateau Hotel de Coatguelen, Plehedel, 22290 Lanvollon, France. The hotel closed this year on November 5 for winter. That must have really been a fantastic meal you had with the Martinats. I enjoyed the restaurants you found for us while we traveled. Sorry I missed the lunch in La Rochelle, but we will get back there again.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home