Lotsa Flies

Soares Clan news and views; A continuation of Two Flies. Hoo Ha.

Sunday, May 06, 2007

Dork Tower

Gainesville

It was blustery here too, Mom-- had a hard time getting my shopping basket (excuse me, Julia: shopping CART) to the car. Once again it looked like it might rain, thunderheads visible through the smazey sky off toward the south west, but no joy.

Please be careful what you attempt outside in windy conditions. I would say that winds strong enough to blow a lawn chair around are too much for you to be attempting a daring rescue with a crutch in one hand!

Interesting thing for dinner-- salmon fillets marinated for two hours in a lime juice, adobo, garlic and cumin mixture right in the baking dish, and topped with onion slices, chopped chipotles in adobo, and chopped cilantro while marinating. Put directly in the oven at 400 for 10 minutes. Ten minutes wasn't enough, as I suspected, since I used the LeCr dish (famous for thermal inertia), and the cilantro should have been basted with the marinade before roasting instead of just the extra 5 minutes I gave it, but it was very good. To our surprise, the cat loved it too.

I'm reading a really fun comic compilation of Dork Tower comics-- a brilliant satire of the whole geek/gaming subculture. The volume I have is Dork Decade, a retrospective all in color. Lots of fun. Which of course means that I am a dork to even understand the humor, let alone enjoy it.

Let the record show that for once I actually finished an entire NYT Sunday crossword puzzle-- it was last week's puzzle, and I finished it today at noon, after having spent at least some time on it every day this past week. I'm amazed how much can be accomplished by just plugging away-- things I thought I'd never be able to figure out sooner or later give themselves up, unable to resist the awesome power of my subconscious mind. Not one bit of cheating, either, even to check guesses. By the end, I knew all were correct. I have today's paper, but not sure I want to spend that much time this coming week on it; last week was a bit different because of the injury.

Speaking of which, everything is getting better except the knee. I can resign myself to having a permanent crater-like scar on my knee, but I do wish the damn thing would stop erupting. Beginning to think it might have been wise to have had a couple of stitches in it, but too late now.

Another new week, another attempt to reset my stubborn sleep patterns: get to bed by 1:00, up before 9:00. Should be doable if I start bedward right now-- the clock is striking midnight.

. . . [time passes, as is its wont] . . .

And after saving, editing, and otherwise fiddling around with this (including reading all my posts for the past week) it's now 12:30. No wonder it takes so frakkin' long to write a short post!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home