Lotsa Flies

Soares Clan news and views; A continuation of Two Flies. Hoo Ha.

Thursday, September 20, 2007

Tropical

Gainesville

Rain off and on all day and into the evening, temps never got above 72. Tempting to imagine it's a sign of autumn to come, but a look at the Weather Channel reveals that it's a tropical system trying to form right over Florida. Will need to keep an eye on it, but current prognosis is that it will not get organized. And, it's supposed to get hot and steamy again by the weekend. Sigh.

Slept late after a mostly sleepless night. Moved very slowly through the day, grateful to have my routines to tell me what to do next. Remembering some FL dictum about staying in bed if you're sick, and if you're up, do routines as best you can. And so I did.

Didn't do the crock thing, but instead decided to use to the stew meat to make a single-portion of "Beef Stuff" (default is a triple batch) and immediately turn it into Tuscan Soup. The cool weather made a comfort food like soup feel right.

Sometime recently there was blog-talk about thermal glasses. The ones I saw at Sur le Table in the Ferry Building and later bought online were Bodum Pavina. I have two tumblers and two taller ones. We love them, and use them every day for drinks. Yes, they're fragile, but unless you're using them for wild parties or picnics at the beach, they are sturdy enough for daily use and are fine in the dishwasher. I'm drinking out of one as we speak.

Just finished The Ophiuchi Hotline, and it was wonderful. Fascinating to see the explosion of ideas that he would play out later in the unrelated Gaea Trilogy and to get some clue what was going on in Steel Beach. I also realize why I couldn't figure out what was going on in Golden Globe enough to get into it.

Mom, when things like CTRL-V start to seem confusing, remember the menus. The menu system is your friend, especially on a Mac! Pull down the Edit menu and just select what you want to do.

Fun with Facebook: Doug's daughter Megan has just started at the University of Georgia, and has added Bill and me as "friends." It has me thinking about my first few weeks at Cottey. I spent so much time handwriting letters to family and friends... if only I'd been able to have a blog, think of all the time I'd have saved!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home