Lotsa Flies

Soares Clan news and views; A continuation of Two Flies. Hoo Ha.

Saturday, April 08, 2006

Rain, Beautiful Rain

Gainesville

We're in the middle of the most wonderful thunderstorm. It is very welcome, as it hasn't rained to speak of in many weeks. The yard has been looking brown and dry, the bushes all droopy, and there are wildfires near Lake Santa Fe. Been going on for half an hour or so, and no sign of stopping.

Good to hear from you, Sandy. I thought you were in that play, too, but don't remember what part you had. I'm glad to hear your cold is better. I didn't get the pork tenderloin that flat either. The ones we get are already in two pieces, so I butterflied each of them, pounded them as best I could, then just put the stuffing between them and tied them together. It worked okay that way. Didn't have shitakes either-- we can almost always get them, but I'd decided to do this at the last minute, and used the portabella's I had around.

Tonight I made a recipe called "Garlic Rosemary Fish." It was kind of non-descript. It wasn't until we'd finished dinner that I realized I'd left out the rosemary. D'oh!! I'm definitely ready for a several day break from cooking. We will get back Saturday afternoon, so I'll need to do a last minute scramble to put together some kind of holiday-ish meal for Easter Sunday.

After trying (and failing) to adjust our Atlanta hotel reservation on-line, I called, and talked to a very nice man who made the changes and sent me an email confirmation of them. I am greatly relieved-- I tend to worry myself silly over such details.

Sounds like you had a good day today, Mom. You are such a good sport to put up with my FL scolding-- well-intentioned though it be. I'm fascinated by the idea of adding mayo to eggs for omelets. Does that actually do something to them, or is it just a flavor enhancement? Your "explosive" thing sounds wonderful to me.

And about floating eggs: if they float, does that mean they're entirely unusable? Can you still hard boil them? I tend to do that with old eggs, but had forgotten that particular test.

I slept until 11 this morning. In the old days, I'd just consider the day a lost cause and not even try to do anything-- just go into Franny mode. Now I just start my morning routines whenever I get up, and things do get done, and the day is never a waste-- just a little less time to relax and read. This has to be one of the biggest differences that FL has made. No more lost days, that all too often turned into lost weekends.

1 Comments:

At 7:46 AM, Blogger Sandy said...

Don't cook eggs that float; hardboiled, they are pretty yucky, with a big air space.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home