Lotsa Flies

Soares Clan news and views; A continuation of Two Flies. Hoo Ha.

Thursday, June 14, 2007

Hard work to be interviewed!

14.Vi.07 - MoM

Well, I had the 2 hour "interview" with Amber, a new summer intern for the local paper. I am really keeping my fingers crossed. She went all the back to Iowa and she was the most intrigued with my variety of hobbies. I had not thought of them in years and could not remember all of them. Then there is the picture -- she took some on the deck by my flowers. She just graduated UWRF and is getting married in October. She doesn't want to go to work but hopes to start having babies at once. She is in a sort of a Julia situation -- two very young sibs by her mother's 2nd marriage.

Tomorrow, I get my "vitals" taken at about 9, then have the PT gal at about 11 a.m. It turned out that there is no outside caretaker involved in my life. Sandy has been bringing in lunch stuff for all of us -- usually excellent leftovers from the night before. It has been handy that they are working on Jane's house nearby. Charlie has noontime appoints tomorrow so Sandy is planning to do some stuff at home. I still have plenty of food on hand. I continue to make progress, but I need to get up and move around more. Also, I think it is Ted's garden day. I will use the quiet days over the weekend to catch up on paper work.

Even though I had a 15-min nap this afternoon, I am again, wondering how I am going to stay awake until a decent bedtime hour. However, It is time for my drink. I just finished my nightly Boost. I fell asleep and slept past the timer bells. UGH!

* * * * *

Guess I will be jumping around date-wise with these European letters. This one is dated 28.V.86.

Dear Sandy and Bob,
I guess I can't complain about not receiving letters when I have all but given up writing them. Let's both get better about it. I really have no excuse, but just seem to have a mental block about it this spring.
There was much action in the apartment (as of 1 Mai) and even tho it is not completely finished yet we are sort of moved into it. Some of the furniture will not be delivered until we return at the end if July. She is charging us as much as for the one upstairs, even tho it is not quite as nice or as large and does not have a kitchen, but she knew she was in the catbird seat. (Renters supply their own kitchens here so we were lucky that she left in the present sink and counter for us. I will use it for ironing and sewing.) When they arrived to talk about the amount, etc., she had a 2nd lease ready for the little apt upstairs and tried to talk us into taking it so there was no chance to dicker. Add the dropping dollar and it has become an expensive proposition but we are going to just relax and enjoy it. We signed a 2 year lease even with a clause that if she needs the downstairs apartment for personal use (her family) we will give it up for the one upstairs on 3 months notice. So, we have a lease and yet don't really have one. We should have put up a fight, but what's the use. We just have to trust her to only want it is one of her girls gets divorced and needs a place, or if one of the husbands is transferred here, or something.
We wanted to get this nailed down, as you know, before we tell her we are going to the States this summer. We will tell her soon. We are to leave Saalfelden on 20 June for Frankfurt, fly to Montreal (Lufthansa) the 21st and stay in a hotel at the airport that night. We will pick up our rental car the 22nd and drive to Oneonta, then to Harpers Ferry on 23 June. Rosie has rented our place as of May 1 to a divorced college teacher at Leesburg with 2 boys (14 and 17) who live with their father and only visit her. However, for several reasons, we need to have a domicile in West Virginia so we now plan to put in a sink and stove downstairs and make that an apartment for us. We have new cabinets and that new little room between the two sections that you haven't seen so should not be too bad for the little time we expect to spend there. She probably only wants it for a year. When we are not there the rest of the year she can use the bedroom down there for her boys. We will be able to use Rosie's little "mother-in-law" apartment until we get something done on ours. Ellen Brohard (the teacher) has a boyfriend who lives down by the lake in Shannondale. We will only get $250.00 per month, but she will pay the utilities. That hardly pays the extra for taxes (we lose our homestead exemption) and the higher insurance when you rent. The pluses are having the house occupied and a break on income tax. Wish we could make it to California but that is not possible this time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home