Lotsa Flies

Soares Clan news and views; A continuation of Two Flies. Hoo Ha.

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Time to Call It a Day

Gainesville

This will be brief. I have a blinding headache, and my usual pain med (gin) is not working. Did not get much sleep last night, and not enough food today.

At least the party is over. Bill called the dress code thing perfectly-- the new pink top with slacks was exactly right-- the dress I bought would have been all wrong. But it was a strange affair. Honoring two Interim Deans, one the Library's, who served all of two months. Of the 100 or so people there, about 10 of us from the Library. No speeches, no presentations. It was rainy and damp, so we were all cheek by jowl inside the house, loaded with wonderful gourmet food. Only wine; last time it was a full bar. Maybe we got too rowdy last time?!

My little corner of the Twittersphere was all aflutter about a weird rant posted today by a blogophobic library pundit. This guy has been a high-profile trouble-maker for the past 30 years. I really wonder why anyone takes him seriously anymore-- responding to him just gives him the bully pulpit he so obviously craves. And here I am, wasting space on my own blog, still fuming about it. Feh. I'm deliberately not mentioning his name so as not to add to the search engine kerfuffle surrounding him.

To counter balance that, let's talk about last night's Colbert Report -- amazing. That is one complex schtick he has going-- I had mental whiplash. Between trying to burn his honorary doctorate, throwing it like a knife at a cut-out of Clinton, leeringly confessing how personally attractive Clinton is, and letting show that the real man (slipping up and addressing himself as ColberT) is utterly thrilled that "President Clinton KNOWS WHO I AM!") -- well, you had to be there, and you had to be watching the show for at least a few weeks. It's an astonishing high wire act.

A few other things I'd like to write about (Bill's latest musical acquisitions for starters) but don't think I can manage it tonight.

Good to hear you are progressing nicely, Mom. Keep on bloggin'.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home