Lotsa Flies

Soares Clan news and views; A continuation of Two Flies. Hoo Ha.

Monday, June 11, 2007

Another day on the road to recovery!

11.VI.07 - MoM

The day's project went smoothly -- a new toilet in the front bathroom. There seems to be a trend toward these slightly higher ones especially for people with any tendency to back problems and not just oldsters and handicapped.

Sandy did some more around here, and both were in and out, working some more on Jane's house. It is just minutes away. We had lunch here -- McDonalds. I had my usual Happy Meal, still more than I can eat.

Tomorrow, I will have my first experience with the "aid" that I will have for a week or two as part of my insurance. Curious to see what they do. Sandy is looking for her to take over some of the things she has been doing. The girl sounded really peppy and perky on the phone. However, she could just be the supervisor coming to see what I need. I guess there is another one, too, for therapy. Will learn more about that tomorrow, too.

Ann Jacobs just called and was going to come by and bring lunch Wednesday, but I had to postpone it until I find out what is involved in the preceding paragraph.

After the very detailed search that didn't turn up the missing camera charger cord, Sandy ordered another for me as well as a case (red) that I had been interested in. Should be here in a couple of days.

It finally got warm enough this afternoon, so I could use a bit of AC. Sandy rearranged the living room corner with the controls so I can turn it on from time to time. Plenty cool now, and will soon turn it off and go back to fresh air. I guess I still have enough of my original Iowa blood to have to be quite warm to want it on. Also, I think age makes a difference, too.

Guess I'll give this a quick read and start thinking about my evening food, drink and routine.

What did you think of the "Sopranos" ending, Suzy? It was certainly big on talk shows on TV today -- many theories.

* * * * *

After the most recent fractured hip. I am back home, again spending too much time in my recliner, I will try to pick up on DoD's letter to Jim Benson about our travels with Suzy and Chris in Spain and France. This was dated 22.XI.85.

We stayed 3 nights in Arles, renting a car one day to tour the surrounding countryside that is well worth seeing, particularly if you are a history buff like Chris, with special interest in the Romans. Florence passed on the car trip and when we returned she announced that our room had been broken into the evening before. while we were at dinner. She didn't become aware of it until she went looking for her purse that morning. Fortunately, I had carried her passport and Eurail pass when we went out to dinner and the thief overlooked or ignored a large shoulder bag Florence carries when traveling which had some turquoise jewelry and other stuff in it. She did lose an expensive purse we had purchased in Den Haag a few months ago, an Olympus camera and the Visa and American Express credit cards, but it could have been much worse. We were on the ground floor overlooking a garden in an old convent converted into a nice hotel. (Jules Cesar). The thief used a small ladder and cut the screen to get in. [This was the only hotel, house, or apartment we ever stayed any place in Europe with screens.] He also knocked over a couple of more rooms in the same way. The hotel management was most helpful and canceled the credit cards for her, then the manager made two trips to the police with her to make the report. We voted to return to Saalfelden after that incident and returned via Strasbourg with an overnight there without further incident.
After a couple of nights in Saalfelden, (a day and ½), Suzy, Chris and I ventured into Italy and Florence opted to stay home. We spent the first night in Bolzano, nice town, then on to Remini via Ravenna, which Chris wanted to see. Again, Suzy stayed in the station with the bags in Ravenna while Chris and I spent a couple of hours seeing what he was interested in. She had been there before and had a good book to read. Rimini is a seaside resort town and was dead as only such places can be off season. We wanted to stay on the Adriatic which only compounded the problem. We managed, but just barely. The only compensation was -- it was inexpensive. From there we went to Rome for a couple of nights and Chris was in his glory. He and I took a morning bus tour, while Suzy wandered on her own. She had spent some time in Rome before. We met at lunchtime at the Roman Forum and spent the afternoon, each exploring what interested them. Too short a time for Rome but time was running out. The kids had a plane to catch in Frankfurt. From Rome we went to Como, nice town -- marvelous food. Florence and I will go back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home