Lotsa Flies

Soares Clan news and views; A continuation of Two Flies. Hoo Ha.

Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Hair Cuts

Gainesville

Travel plans beginning to come together. We now have a reservation at the RF Country Inn & Suites, and plan to arrive sometime in the afternoon on Tuesday. Bill, too, has a new short hair cut. What do you mean, the tomatoes are slow, Sandy? Tell them to hurry the hell up-- we need them next week!

Got the house partially blessed today (floors and carpets) and the towels changed and laundered. Scooba is plugged in and doing his 16-hour slow charge in preparation for tomorrow's date with the kitchen floor.

Had been up nearly and hour this morning before I remembered I needed to start a crock pot if we going to eat tonight. Chicken drumsticks in a thick BBQ-type sauce went together in about 15 minutes, and were done at exactly the right time. Really good, and so nice to not have to do any actual cooking. Had leftover cauli-rice salad and green beans with it. I froze the remaining sauce, as it could be used for any quick recipe calling for the bottled stuff.

Got your nice anniversary card today, Mom. It's very sweet of you to remember-- thanks. And loved the pictures! I had forgotten that "built-in" mixer that wasn't. Nice image of Sandy perched on the dishwasher, and Chris looking amused. Also like the one of Sandy and me looking over Dad's shoulder-- I can date it exactly because of my hair cut: Christmas 1957. (Here's a shout-out to Carol Joynt, who inspired it, and Ruth Olsen, who cut it.) I was such a butterball in those days. Funny, but I don't remember whatever it was I was wearing, but I remember Sandy's dress. Probably because I've seen it in other photos. Bill has a theory that we don't really remember what people look like-- we only remember what they look like in pictures. Could be.

It's still hideously hot here. I'm in tank top, shorts, bare feet, AC on, but still too warm for comfort. The cat has the right idea-- she's spread out on the terrazzo, on her side, looking like she's running, only horizontally and very very slowly. Or maybe she's dreaming of running.

When we were in Cali last winter, I was fascinated by a large format slick magazine named San Francisco. I finally mailed in the subscription card I brought back, and the first issue arrived yesterday. Fascinating it is, but like a dinner composed entirely of rich deserts. Just too much. I can only look at it for short periods of time. One feature I really loved was on Murphys, the Gold Country town we girls visited several times with Pa and Dan. Like all that area, it has become cute/ boutiqued-out, but they also have an interesting little wine culture going there that might be fun to check out. I'd really love to visit the Gold Country again someday.

Today I saw some email about early plans for a comics in libraries panel for next year's Comic-Con in San Diego next July. (What a sentence!) Maybe it would be worth just one more try to return there, as I know the people organizing it... But then too, I see that the PCA is having their annual next March in SF-- I presented at this one when it was in Atlanta last year.... DAMN! I wish flying weren't so bloody impossible these days! I'd love to do both.

I'll bet I dream of Cottey tonight. Trying to recall Ruth's last name, I took an extended look at the Sphinx 1958 yearbook. I almost never look at that one, since the second year was by far the more memorable one, so it brought back many people and associated memories long buried.

Okay, I have a chance to get to bed early-- 1:00! Let's see if I can actually manage it.

2 Comments:

At 7:02 AM, Blogger Sandy said...

In the mixer photo, look carefully at what Chris has in his hand -- or had you noticed it?

 
At 11:09 PM, Blogger Suzy said...

Chrissy's got a gun...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home