Lotsa Flies

Soares Clan news and views; A continuation of Two Flies. Hoo Ha.

Saturday, August 11, 2007

Still unsettled weather with lots of alerts

After the Blog was sent on 10.VIII.07

Hi! I am sitting out a "rip snorter" of a storm in my snug little "shelter." I have decided on a "modification" for the future -- a plug in lamp that will take a lower volt bulb, especially in summer. The bright floods in here have really heated it up.

Due to things I have started keeping in that bathroom, getting ready made it a lot easier to get prepared this time.

I was already settled in when the weather station included us (and Spring Valley). River Falls is not the best about warning the towns people. This time the weather people said, "Siren activation is suggested." The locals took notice and we had our sirens. Only 10 minutes more to go. I'm not unhappy about that, but I don't think we got as much rain as we need to give us back our sprinklers. It was only a couple of 10th but better than nothing and it refreshed the plants on my bedroom deck. I expect to continue to

11.VIII.07 - MoM

It is now 6:30 p.m., and just now the weather channel issued a new alert for a "watch" that includes River Falls till 1 a.m. I have the major stuff still in there, so don't plan to retreat until its arrival sounds more eminent.

I have finished my funny dinner and just starting my drink. I boiled a couple of large yellow onions in beef broth (made with cubes) this afternoon. I ate the biggest one with a bite of butter on every bite. I had had my usual healthy stuff the rest of the day so finished dinner with a bowl of butter pecan ice cream.

This afternoon, I finally got rid of the tote box I had put by my chair a while before I broke the 2nd hip. I cleared most of the stuff out of it, but took it with the odds and ends left to add to the junk on the sofa in my bedroom. [Storm warning for 'large, damaging hail heading into Woodbury and Stillwater.]

I had a lot of trouble staying awake today. On Saturday, the Today Show runs from 6 to 8 a.m., so after my sleepless night, I had trouble being sharp and alert today and fell asleep a lot.

Sandy called to see if I was in my "shelter." A severe thunderstorm warning was out as thunderstorms were forming on the St. Croix and moving east. I only had a couple of things I was going to do, but that got me going on it. By the time I got in there, our local sirens were going. I have been in here about 15 minutes and am now just hearing thunder. My WA radio just mentioned RF again but sounds like it is going a few miles north of us. The watch is due to last till mid-night, but I'm not going to "sweat" in here that long. I had to turn off the lights as I was dying of the heat and have a camping lamp on -- two flies rubbing their legs together could make more light. Our local siren is going again. Now, I don't know if it is more or an all clear. Somehow, I don't think it is the later from some other storms developing just across the river from us.

That reprieve from the sweat box was short lived. The first thunder was close enough to send me back. By the way, the flashlight you (Coveys) gave us, is quite useful, too.

Called Thea as usual today, and she was able to hear me quite well on my mini-phone.

We are in a quiet time. I think I will plug in the wireless, send this, then try to sleep till something else happens.

I wonder if you are leaving tomorrow (Sunday) or Monday. Hope you have a good trip and miss some of the nasty weather around. See you soon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home