Lotsa Flies

Soares Clan news and views; A continuation of Two Flies. Hoo Ha.

Friday, September 07, 2007

Fictional Bummers

Gainesville

I am so bummed. Just heard the news that Lynn Johnston's husband left her in April! (Story here.) I have been involved with that strip, and by extension, with her, for so many years, it is like learning of the breakup of close friends who seemed perfectly happy. Shattering. And just as she was winding down the strip and stepping back from it, trying something different with it. Just last night Bill and I were discussing it, and how April was the one totally fictional character -- a midlife baby she decided not to have in RL. He thought it was creepy. Maybe he was right.

Yeah, I was pissed about Liz ending up with Anthony, but never would wish this misery on anyone. And how much worse for her, to have to continue drawing "Rod" as a character. I can't help remembering a storyline maybe 15 years ago where Elly thought Rod was having an midlife crisis affair -- and it turned out he just lusted after a new sports car. This is always the problem with autobiographical comics -- even when they're semi-autobiographical, they can suddenly come back to bite bigtime.

And as if this weren't enough semi-fictional angst, I had to go and finish Ghosts of Netley this afternoon. I cried! I haven't boo-hoo'ed out loud at a book in a long while, even though I knew perfectly well it was coming, and that, of course, it never happened. Total fabrication, set amid such an array of historical fact that it's easy to lose track of that. Well done, Stephanie Barron!

Meanwhile, back in RL... (pauses, tries to remember) ... I'm sure something happened yesterday worth noting, but I'm not sure what. Today (aside from reading) I was up early to do some transactions with the Publix pharm before the weekend. Bill couldn't get away from meetings early enough to make an afternoon trip into the Library worthwhile. I actually was glad for a chance to get caught up on a few minimal Blessings: kitchen floor with Scooba, rest of the floors/rugs with Swiffer/carpet sweeper. Bathroom floors still need attention.

Need to get to Publix again tomorrow morning-- another Gator football day, when it's best to have one's business done well before the game starts. I have meals/shopping list ready. Now all I have to do is get myself out of bed early enough to make it happen. Always the problem.

Need to get that new UPS plugged in! Woke up this morning with the computer shut down once again, due to a brief power outage.

Congrats on keeping those stickers on the calendar, Mom. I know exactly what that is about. I finally ordered the new calendar today. I still have 3 more months on the old one, but already need to plan things for January. I have only minimal stickers on this month, knowing I'll want to transfer them.

Sandy, you'll remember John Ronan from the conference. He and Jana have been wanting to adopt for some time, and now they have-- however, two of their irons in the fire became available at once, and they took them both! They are suddenly parents of TWO babies! What kind of fun is that going to be?!

So, I guess we can assume that Ben didn't run screaming from kindergarten? That's a good sign.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home