Lotsa Flies

Soares Clan news and views; A continuation of Two Flies. Hoo Ha.

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Remembering The Guy

Gainesville

The Dress has been acquired. I went into seven stores. It is very hard to find something in my size that isn't either too young, too long, and/or too frumpy. I finally found something in the back corner of the Petite section of Dillard's. By that time I was desperate and pissed at the thought of having to do this all over again. I don't know the words used to describe clothes anymore, but it's a black and white print, deep v-neck front and back, a black gathered band below the bust (did we used to call this style "princess"?) then falling from there to just below the knee, flaring slightly at the hem. Out of some wispy, stretchy fabric. Will look for some shoes tomorrow; if all else fails, I have some I could wear.

Bill is feeling better about work. He figured out the logic, however misguided, behind what's going on. The worst part was the seeming irrationality.

I managed to delay a very simple dinner tonight by slicing open a finger with one of those serrated knives. It would not stop bleeding, and I finally had to stop the cooking and ask Bill to bandage me up. I was trying to supplement a dogs 'n' kraut dish with a rather nice bacon, mushroom and sun-dried tomato thing. Chopping the bacon was what did me in. Really, I should just put the bandage on that finger (left index) before I touch a knife.

Good luck tomorrow, Mom. Unpleasant to be sure, but after what you've been through, nothing much to be concerned about. The Prohibition would be the worst of it, at least as far as I'm concerned.

I keep forgetting to broach the subject of Guy Mitchell. I've long had the song "My Heart Cries for You" pop up unexpectedly in my brain, and just dismissed it. Lately I've been haunted by the lyrics "She had a dark and a roving eye..." and finally had to track them down-- rediscovering the perpetrator of both tunes. I was surprised to see how many hits he'd had in the early '50's and what a long career he had singing banal but catchy drivel. Now my tune buffer is newly loaded with such classics as "Sparrow in the Treetop," although I admit this one has surfaced on and off before now, " (I Never Felt More Like) Singing the Blues," "My Truly, Truly Fair," and who could forget, "(There's a Pawn Shop on the Corner of) Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania." Ah, those were the days! :-) And thanks to the miracle of the web, his stuff will live forever, clear evidence of why Rock & Roll HAD to be born.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home