Lotsa Flies

Soares Clan news and views; A continuation of Two Flies. Hoo Ha.

Saturday, June 23, 2007

Angry Food

Gainesville

Maybe back to blog-length posts, maybe not.

Tonight was Worst. Dinner dish. Ever.

(A) It was a lot of work. (B) It required unearthing seldom-used equipment: Gadget. (C) It took three times longer than recipe suggested, and it still wasn't done properly. (D) It did not taste good. And worst of all, (E) Bill choked on a bone in the fish!!

I was completely demoralized after this disaster. Good thing I had a baseball game in the background, to keep me sedated. The Washington Nationals managed to lose the most bizarre bottom of the 9th game I've ever seen. This was followed by the Orioles playing at Arizona-- they're trailing, and I can't bear to watch their top of the 9th.

Now I'm terrified to try some of the other recipes scheduled for this week. I bought 5 humongous Vidalia onions to try "Stuffed Onion Meatloaves" -- I think not! I popped the ground beef in the freezer and will rethink what to do with it later. And I can always chop up the onions and freeze them.

Clearing the fridge this afternoon, I dumped an outdated blob of yogurt down the drain, and somehow managed to splatter it straight into my eye, despite having glasses on-- now how did that happen, except my food is angry at me?

Reading an online novelette that is great, but doing nothing at all to raise my spirits: Cory Doctorow's When Sysadmins Ruled the Earth. That I can decode it easily reminds me what a hopeless geek I've been for the past 20 years. And the contrast between it and Stillhouse Maid (still not finished) could not be more stark.

"Saved from chicken pie?" "Sustenance?" Mom, you sound like you are on the verge of starving to death, and you know this is not true. You can have whatever your heart desires to eat. All you have to do is dig it out of your overflowing freezer, or ASK, and it will be delivered.

Of course you had good and bad days with your last recovery. That is just part of life, and the healing process. Take all the pain killers you need-- that's what they're for, after all.

Can't wait to see what you do with your daisies. You have created a unique craft, and I'm very proud of you. I do hope the newspaper story highlighted how creative you are.

I'm still on call as Bar Maid-- otherwise I'd be way out of it by now. Shouldn't be long now, though. Things do tend to settle down this time of night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home