Lotsa Flies

Soares Clan news and views; A continuation of Two Flies. Hoo Ha.

Thursday, July 12, 2007

Making some progress walking.

12.VII.07 - MoM

I am keeping my fingers crossed that I have made it over the hump with the leg pain. Yesterday afternoon and again today I was able to put more weight on it and walk more normally, using the walker, of course. I only took 1 Advil and that was first thing this morning. I was also able to get around my small kitchen without the walker by using the counters to take some of the weight off of it. That is a big help as the kitchen is so small, it really slowed things down maneuvering the walker in such tight space.

My hair is the longest it has been in years. It just stops growing at this point. It is only long enough to pull it back and make a little pigtail -- never grows long enough for a ponytail! I have an appointment for a haircut next week. It was a couple of months overdue before my most recent fracture.

About my 2 new cameras -- I love the 1st little one (Olympus FE) but it presents me with a big problem -- there is no view finder and you are expected to see what you want to shoot looking at a cute little (about 2" square) "screen." However, especially in bright sunlight there is no way to see anything on the screen so one is shooting in the general direction and taking your chances. It came from Amazon just a few days before I broke my hip, so I had no chance to give it a good trial and perhaps return it. Even Sandy says it is not good in sunlight outside. The new Cannon not only has the screen that is moveable but it also has a view finder. The Olympus also has a little flat battery that has to removed and put in a special little charger from time to time instead of having replaceable batteries. I had purchased my original Olympus through a catalog but it was just an upgrade of one I had had for a long time. So for the newest one, I made sure to go to a store, hold it, ask questions about it, etc., and I like it very much. It is heavier, but I don't have to carry things all day like I used to when we were doing European "carless" travel so weight isn't much of a factor. I think that also helps me hold it steadier.

Every day, I am taking on more things around here. I filled the bird feeders in the patio today. Tomorrow, I think I'll take on the ones out in front. My new walker makes it possible for me to go on the bricks there without having to lift the entire old one due to such tiny wheels and in front only on the rough brick surface.

* * * * *

Continuing daily notes from Saalfelden, Austria.

18.VII.87 18.I.87 Sonntag

Nice to have yet another good night. Woke up a lot as usual, but no headache. Had one window wide, but had to put it back to a crack when the room got into the 30's F, as I did not want to have to keep watching it. Had taken the French cough syrup at bedtime again as I was coughing a lot. Slept in till after the 6.00 news (5 minutes).

Let the dusting and polishing slide and started early down stairs on my office stuff. Finally finished my new file folders and got the stuff refilled. Looks nice. Was charged for 50 folders, but turned out to be only 49. About 75 cents each and a lot of them had been cut short and crooked on the sides. But the good part is that they are out of very heavy stock and are mostly folded straight at the top. Quite a job to get all my "tabs" cut and put on evenly. The expensive paper cutter was wonderful for that. Also, got some disks cleaned and rearranged. Kept busy all day. Had some chest and back pain by the end of the day, but not as bad as lately.

DoD had a big day as he could watch skiing in the morning and early afternoon, then football highlights later in the afternoon. The games are some weeks behind but are a joy to him. His exercise lately, with all the TV watching keeping him in, has been walking inside like we used to do in winter in WVA. It would be good if he did upstairs and down, too, but the hallway is quite cold. Also, there is a goodly amount of room for good walking in our upstairs.

Marinated a 200 g pork tenderloin in olive oil, white wine, onions, garlic and thyme. Put garlic slivers in it, covered it with Rama and baked it till it was not too dry. Really turned out great. Put some of the leftover washed potatoes in the Micro with butter on them (really are good reheated) and had carrot and raisin salad. Went to bed early and read for just a little bit as I had not heated my room.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home